~ P ~


Marysville Daily Appeal - 10/2/1908, p1 - J. Q. Packard Died Last Night At Santa Cruz - Man Who Donated Library to Marysville Has Passed Away - John Q. Packard, who donated to the city of Marysville the handsome City Library, and who was a former resident of this city, died last night at 6:35 o'clock at his home at Santa Cruz at the age of 86.  His death came suddenly and unexpected and was caused from heart trouble.  It is believed his body will be sent east for burial. - John Quackenbos Packard was born in Johnstown, New York, on November 26, 1822, and received his education in the schools of his native town.  Than about 18 years of age he became connected with business affairs as a clerk in a silk jobbing house in New York City.  There he was employed when the discovery of gold in California turned the eyes of the world toward the west.  Like others he came to California, making the trip via a steamer to the Isthmus of Panama, thence on the Old Equator to San Francisco. - After following the mining excitements of various sections he finally leased a lot of Thomas Larkin on Montgomery street, San Francisco, and put up a wooden building.  This property he sold to his partner and then came to Marysville, which was then the center of an active mining district.  Here he formed a partnership with Colonel Edwards Woodruff, the partnership continuing until the death of Colonel Woodruff in 1899.  In this city they engaged in general merchandising until the flood of 1862, when they disposed of their business interests. - In the early seventies while en route from California to New York, Mr. Packard stopped off at Salt Lake, in company with Mr. Woodruff, and became so impressed with conditions there that he accepted an interest in the Eureka Hill mine, one of the best in the Tintic district.  He remained president and manager of this property until 1895.  He was the first to claim that ores would be found at a depth in the Tintic district and demonstrated it by his work in the Eureka Hill.  He afterwards located the Gemini mine in the same district and this property continues in active operation and has paid dividends amounting to over $2,000,000. - Mr. Packard was also interested in mines in Michigan and Idaho.  In 1900 Mr. Packard again removed his residence to this city.  He also erected a handsome summer home two miles from Santa Cruz, and it was there he passed away last evening.  The greater part of his later years was spent in Santa Cruz, where he was engaged in business affairs, being president of the Big Creek Power company, which he purchased in 1900.  He was also president of the Santa Cruz Lime company.  He was also a large land owner in Yuba and Sutter counties and was well and favorably known by hundreds of people in these two counties. - In 1905 he presented to this city the handsome city library, the building and lot on which it stands being valued at $100,000.  The year before he presented to the City of Salt Lake a similar structure. - Mr. Packard was a life member in the Society of California Pioneers and was vice president for a long time of the Pioneer Society of California. - He leaves no immediate relatives, there being but several nephews in the east.

Marysville Daily Appeal - 10/3/1908, p1 - Marysville May Have Handsome City Hall - John Q. Packard Believed to Be Donor - Rumor Current That Will of Dead Millionaire Provides Donation for Marysville - There was a rumor current in Marysville last evening that in the will left by John Q. Packard provision is made for the donation to the city of Marysville of the lot on the corner of Fourth and C streets, directly south of the city library, and that a further bequeath is made of sufficient money for the city to erect a handsome and commodious city hall on the property. - The Appeal made an effort to have the report confirmed last night but was unable to do so.  Richard Belcher, who has handled all of Mr. Packard's legal work here, was interviewed but he was not in a position to say whether the story was true or not.  He did not know. - A. C. Bingham, who handles the business of Mr. Packard here, was in San Francisco and he could not be communicated with last night. - Mr. Packard left a will and as Marysville is his legal residence the will will be probated in this county.  It is generally believed by many people here that there is a provision in the will for the disposition of the lot named to the city and that a sufficient sum is bequeathed for city hall purposes.

Marysville Daily Appeal - 10/4/1908, p4 - Sidelights on Life of John Q. Packard - Millionaire Cancelled the Debt Of a Man Who Owed Him Thousands - The body of John Q. Packard, who died at his summer home near Santa Cruz Thursday night, as already told in the Appeal, has been prepared for burial and will be shipped to Albany, New York, where his parents are buried. - The Santa Cruz Serf yesterday published a few sidelights on the life of John Packard, which will be interesting to the dead millionaire's friends in this city.  The Serf says: - "Mr. Packard died at his home on the Scotts Valley road after an illness of about a month's duration, following a general breakdown of the system, at the age of 87. - At his bedside were Mr. Royse, Mrs. McCormick, his housekeeper, and a trained nurse.  His nephew, Edward Packard of Salt Lake City, has been summoned by telegraph and all the arrangements for the funeral will be deferred until his arrival here. - Mr. Packard, who was many times a millionaire, came here in 1900 from Salt Lake City, where he had been a mine operator for many years.  He had retired from active business and was so charmed with the climate and surroundings of Santa Cruz, that he made it his permanent home, building a magnificent residence on the hill leading from this city to Scotts Valley, across the road from his old partner, F. W. Billing, who had also become enamored of Santa Cruz.  Here Mr. Packard, who had never married, lived alone, with a man and his wife as caretakers of the place, and spent the declining years of a very active life. - Little is known here of his business interests, for he was one of the most modest and retiring of men, as shown by his refusal to allow his name on the corner stones of the two beautiful libraries which he donated to Salt Lake City and Marysville, where he formerly lived. - The end came very peacefully.  He had been ailing for over two months, but on Wednesday he dressed himself without assistance and walked down stairs for breakfast, unaided.  The next day he was weaker and was unconscious for six hours before he died.  He felt no pain, however, and answered the questions of his friends up to noon yesterday, when he sank into the sleep from which he never waked. - Dr. Clark attended Mr. Packard. - Mr. Packard was a native of Albany, New York, where his mother and father died, but he spent most of his life in the west.  He came to California in 1849 and had a merchandise business on Montgomery street, San Francisco, where the waters of the bay lapped his back doorstep.  He later moved his stock to Marysville where he was very successful, and afterwards made much money in Utah mines, so much so that he was rated in the commercial agencies as worth between $25,000,000 and $50,000,000.  The foundation of his fortune, laid in early days, was in the Eureka, Godiva and Gemini Mining companies of Eureka, Utah, and the Tip Top mine in southern Idaho.  He owned valuable business blocks in Salt Lake City and in Albany, N.Y., owned the water works in Elmira, N.Y., an interest in the Marysville water works, large areas of water frontage in San Francisco and much property in Marysville, his former home. - Mr. Packard was first interested in Santa Cruz in Sept., 1899, by his old partner, F. W. Billing, who lives on the Scotts Valley road opposite the Packard home.  Packard and Billing were associated together for 35 years and were engaged in mining and smelting in Utah since the early 70s.  They were partners in the Santa Cruz Lime company up to the last. - Mr. Billing, J. F. Cooper, who married Billing's daughter, and J. W. Forgeus, interested Mr. Packard in the Big Creek Power company, organized by F. W. Swanton, and which was recently sold to the Martin syndicate. - During his connection with the Big Creek company, Mr. Packard, though then 85 years old, could be found every day at the office on lower Pacific avenue.  His habits were most regular and to this, together with the excellent care he took of himself, was due his splendid health and vitality. - After selling the Big Creek Power company, Mr. Packard had to be occupied, so he and C. E. Lilley, his old manager in the Big Creek and Lime companies, formed a real estate partnership under the name of Packard & Lilley, and with Fred Royse, his old bookkeeper, in charge, established an office in the County Bank building, which he visited almost daily up to within a month or so ago. - It was Mr. Packard who, as a loyal Santa Cruzan, came to the aid of the Ocean Shore and bought the Grand Central and Barnet properties on Pacific avenue for that company's depot grounds, carrying these and other properties, valued at $218,000, until such time as the railroad is ready to take them over. - W. M. Aydelotte, who was Mr. Billings' lawyer in the Billing-Packard litigation some years back, paid a tribute to Mr. Packard's unfailing good nature as well as generosity this morning.  Mr. Aydelotte said: "In that litigation, now happily over and forgotten, I was much struck with Mr. Packard's amiable hearing.  Even when we were in the thickest of the fight he would greet us with the greatest courtesy and always seemed able to lay aside the questions at issue and treat us as if we were his greatest friends. - "You have heard the story of how he cancelled the debt of a man in Salt Lake who owed him thousands of dollars and couldn't pay.  During this man's last illness Packard went to see him, and after he had left the house the sick man's wife found a roll of bills amounting to $5000 on the table.  Later, when the debtor died, although it was not known that Packard had advanced him large sums, Packard never put in a claim and not a line could be found to show that the dead man owed Packard anything."

Marysville Evening Democrat - 10/5/1908, p8 - Body of Late John Q. Packard Shipped To Albany, N.Y. - Santa Cruz, Oct. 5.-Edward Packard, nephew of the late John Q. Packard, arrived from Salt Lake City Saturday to make arrangements for the funeral. - It has been decided that there will be no funeral service here, nor any public ceremony, out of deference to the dead man's wishes, and the body was taken east today by Mr. Packard, direct for Albany, N. Y., for interment in the family plot.

Marysville Daily Appeal - 10/7/1908 - J. Q. Packard's Will Filed For Probate - Individual Bequeaths Are Made In the Sum of $120,000. - Under the provisions of the will of the late John Q. Packard, which was filed for probate in the superior court of Yuba county yesterday morning by Richard Belcher, Edward Winslow Packard of Salt Lake and Theodore R. Shear of New York are named as the beneficiaries of the estate after bequeaths are made approximating $120,000.  A. C. Bingham of this city and Edward Winslow Packard are named as executors without bonds. - The estate of the dead millionaire has been estimated at anything between $5,000,000 and $25,000,000.  What the value of the estate is will probably never be known. - Among the beneficiaries by bequest is A. C. Bingham of this city.  Mr. Bingham was closely connected with Mr. Packard in business ways and handled the business of the millionaire in this section. - The following is a summary of the will, which was dated at Santa Cruz August 15, 1906, and has been in the possession of Mr. Bingham: - "I, John Q. Packard, of the city of Marysville, in the county of Yuba, state of California, being over the age of 80 years and of sound and deposing mind, do hereby make, publish and declare this my last will and testament.  I do hereby revoke all former wills by me at any time heretofore made.  It is my will that all my just debts and liabilities and my funeral expenses and expenses of the administration of my estate be paid out of my personal estate by the executors of this, my last will and testament. - "I do hereby give and bequeath unto Atkins C. Bingham of the city of Marysville, the sum of $5000. - "I do hereby give and bequeath unto my nephew, Edward Winslow Packard, now in Salt Lake City, in the state of Utah, the sum of $5000. - "I do hereby give and bequeath unto my sister, Julia G. Wells, now of the city of Chicago, in the state of Illinois, the sum of $10,000. - "I do hereby give and bequeath unto my niece, Mary W. Ellis, of the city of Rochester, N. Y., the sum of $10,000. - "I do hereby give and bequeath unto my niece, Emma Hough, of Evanston, Illinois, the sum of $10,000. - "To Harriet Cardoze of Albany, N.Y., $10,000. - "To Josephine Dorrance, of Sandy Point, Md., $10,000. - "To Kate Clover of New York City, $10,000. - "To John Q. Packard of Williamsport, Pa., $10,000. - "To James B. Packard of San Francisco, $10,000. - "To Marion Marsh of Plainfield, N. J., $10,000. - "To Margaret Goblet d'Alviella of Brussels, Belgium, $10,000. - "To Eleanor Hatch of Dharmsala, India, $10,000. - After all the bequests have been made and all claims against the estate settled, including the expenses of the funeral, the remainder of the estate will go to Edward Winslow Packard of Salt Lake City and Theodore R. Shear of New York City, who will share equally.

Marysville Daily Appeal - 10/9/1908, p7 - Heir's Head Not Turned By Bequeath of Packard - New York, October 8. - The fact that he has just inherited an estate that is estimated at $10,000,000 has not made any change in the well-ordered life of Theodore R. Shear.  He is just the same quiet, dignified, middle-aged, comparatively unknown lawyer that he was before the news came to him that by the death of his uncle, John Q. Packard of Santa Cruz, Cal, he had been lifted into the list of those who hold the swollen fortunes of the country. - Mr. Shear is 55 years old.  He lives with his wife and children in a modest private residence.  His income heretofore has sufficed to keep his family in comfort, but they kept no automobiles.

Marysville Daily Appeal - 10/10/1908, p3 - May Contest Packard's Will - There were some unconfirmed rumors on the streets yesterday morning to the effect that there would be a contest over the will of the late John Q. Packard.  None of the parties in Marysville connected with the affairs of the dead millionaire know of such contest and it is doubtful if a contest will result because it would be fruitless if it should be brought. - The story is to the effect that Mrs. Emma Hough and Mrs. Julia Wells, heirs of Chicago, who are bequeathed $10,000 each by the will, are the ones who threaten to start a contest, they alleging, it is said, that they do not believe the heirs were treated fairly by Packard leaving the residue of the estate, which constitutes the residue of the property, to Edward Winslow Packard of Salt Lake and Theodore R. Shear, a nephew, of New York.

Marysville Daily Appeal - 10/14/1908, p3 - Packard Mined In Early Days In Nevada - Nevada County Pioneer Relates Some Incidents of Millionaire's Life - The sad news of the recent death of John Q. Packard, the Santa Cruz millionaire who had such heavy interests at Marysville, was of deep interest to Fritz Meister, the pioneer miner of the Washington district, says the Grass Valley Union. - Meister and Packard were one time partners in Utah mining, and for a while Packard was a co-worker with Meister in placer claims on Diamond creek, a few miles south of Maybert.  That was back in the '70's, before Packard made his pile in the Utah mines, and he was that hard up that he allowed his interests on Diamond creek to lapse and they passed into the hands of Mr. Woodruff, who at that time was interested with Packard in the Marysville water works.  Recalling the days of his early association with Packard, Meister had the following to say yesterday when interviewed at the Waldeck mine on Canyon creek: - "Packard was a typical prospector and miner, a bachelor who had cut off all ties with his eastern kith and kin, though he sometimes spoke of his mother and sister.  He was cynical, paddled his own canoe as far as possible, but was uncommonly parsimonious.  He was often censurred for his 'closeness.' - "One day I met him in Salt Lake City and he spoke despondingly of the outlook.  He said he was in debt on his Marysville venture as he was afraid he would lose his interest therein as he found difficulty in raising money or getting an extension of time.  We got to talking about mines and he asked me to go down to the Eureka Tintic property and take a look at it.  He offered to pay my transportation, but remembering that he had spoken of being hard up, I refused it and went on my own expense for 'old times' sake.'  After inspecting the property, which he said had proved worthless, I offered to take it off his hands on a lease.  He knew then that I had found something and I finally told him that I had discovered a ledge of horn silver ore on the bluff. - " 'You are a rich man,' I said to Packard by way of encouragement.  'Brace up.'  He soon was mining, saved his interest in the Marysville water works and got to be worth his millions." - Packard was also well known to a Nevada City man who made his residence in Salt Lake City in the early '80's.  He said that Packard often came to Salt Lake City, putting up at the best hotel, but he seldom spent a cent for the ordinary little luxuries indulged in by most men.  Salt Lake City in those days was a great billiard playing town.  At the billiard parlors connected with the Walker house, known to globe trotters and transcontinental commercial drummers, there nightly congregated some of the best billiard players in the country.  Whenever Packard was in Salt Lake City he could be found in the billiard parlor immediately after supper where he would watch the games until the closing hour of midnight.  This was his almost sole amusement. - The Nevada City man recollects a remark by Packard that explains the latter's unusual closeness.  He said that a man who was in debt had no right to spend any money on pleasures or luxuries.  The habit of frugality inculcated by that principle so grew upon Packard that after he got entirely free of debt he continued his economy in his personal expenses.  Though the stage ran daily from his mine to the railroad station he would walk the 37 miles and save the $6 fare, which he said he could not make so well as a day's wages in any other labor.  He got a fierce "roast" once from a paper in Salt Lake City for that trait. - Packard, however, had philanthropic impulses on a broad scale.  He courted no celebrity on account of his wealth or his charities.  When he made the donation of the public library to Marysville he stipulated that there be no fuss made about it.

Marysville Daily Appeal - 10/27/1908, p1 - Packard Will Is Probated - The will of the late John Q. Packard was admitted to probate in the superior court yesterday morning.  The contents of the Appeal are already known to the readers of the Appeal.  Atkins Clark Bingham and Edward Winslow Packard are made executors, in compliance with the request of Mr. Packard in his will. - The estate in California is estimated to be worth something in the neighborhood of $500,000.  The papers on file state that the estate in this state is worth over $10,000 but not to exceed $1,000,000.