YUBA COUNTY  Biographies

 


 

F. L. MIX

 

            As general superintendent of the Colgate plant of the Pacific Gas & Electric Company, F. L. Mix has since November, 1920, been handling the work of his office in a creditable manner, and to the entire satisfaction of the company.  His birth occurred in St. Paul, Minn., on December 4, 1892, and he is the only son of F. T. Mix, a native of Washington, D.C., and at present chief clerk in the main office of the Southern Pacific Railroad Company in San Francisco, Cal.

            F. L. Mix accompanied his parents and sister Margaret to California in 1896 and located at Lompoc; later the family removed to San Jose, and still later to Alameda, where Mr. Mix received his education.  After finishing school, he was employed as a general clerk in the office of C. C. Moore, engineers.  In 1911 he entered the employ of the Pacific Gas & Electric Company in San Francisco, and after one year was sent to Dixon, where he remained until his enlistment in the World War.  He entered the United States Army with Battery A, 147th Field Artillery, 32nd Division, and within one month was in France; he received severe wounds at Argonne Forest, and for three months was in a hospital.  He was returned to the United States as a convalescent, and on February 1, 1919, received his honorable discharge at Camp Fremont.  He then returned to his old position at Dixon, and since that time has been promoted three times.  In November, 1920, he was made general superintendent to the Colgate plant, where he has charge of eighty men.

            At Sacramento, Cal., in September, 1921, Mr. Mix was married to Miss Inez Wilson, born at Dixon and a daughter of E. K. and Mary (Reed) Wilson.  Mrs. Mix was graduated from Dixon High School in 1917.  Fraternally, Mr. Mix is a member of Woodland Lodge, No. 1299, B.P.O.E.

 

History of Yuba and Sutter Counties, Historic Record Company, Los Angeles, 1924

p . 1104

 


 

JOSEPH ALFRED VELASCO

 

            Yuba City may well be proud of its experienced and enterprising artisans of the industrial world, prominent among whom we find Joseph Alfred Velasco, the proprietor of the well-equipped general blacksmith shop on Sutter Street.  A native son, he was born at Aptos, Santa Cruz County, November 21, 1888, the son of Joseph M. and Catherine (Omnes) Velasco.  The father was born in California and reared at Lexington, and became a prominent stockman in Santa Cruz County.  The grandfather, Capt. Julian Omnes, came to California in the early forties and owned one of the first sawmills in the State.  He built his first sawmill in San Bernardino, and later moved to Santa Cruz County and built a sawmill at Rincon.  He built a sailboat with which he transported freight from Santa Cruz to Yerba Buena, or San Francisco.  Later still he erected a sawmill farther up the coast in Santa Cruz County.  He also owned a large rancho, extending from San Francisquito Creek to Palo Alto.  Both parents were descended from the best of pioneer stock and were highly esteemed in their day.

            Joseph Alfred Velasco, or Al Velasco, as he is familiarly called, went through the public schools and later took a course in the International Correspondence School. Four of the uncles in the Omnes family were blacksmiths by trade, and it was but natural that Al Velasco should learn the trade from them.  When he was twelve years old he was able to shoe a horse satisfactorily to his uncles.  He worked at his trade in Santa Cruz and San Francisco, continuing until 1909, when he came to Marysville and here found employment with the Dunning Brothers Company.  So well did he demonstrate his ability that in one month he was made foreman of their blacksmith shop.  When the Dunning Brothers Company opened the California Garage, Mr. Velasco continued with them as foreman of the blacksmith department, to the satisfaction of all concerned.  Wishing to engage in business for himself, he found an opening in Yuba City in 1922; so he resigned from his position and began to devote his time and energy to building up a business.  The business grew and in time necessitated enlarging his quarters and adding to this equipment.  Having bought the lot where his shop is situated, he now has a floor space 80 by 80 feet and does general blacksmithing, horseshoeing, and wood-working, and runs a general repair shop for wagons, automobiles and truck wheels, tractors and farming implements.  He makes a specialty of oxy-acetylene welding and body-building for automobiles and trucks, has a furnace especially equipped for the making of springs of all kinds, and manufactures dipping tanks and baskets.  He also handles tires for automobiles and trucks and has the agency for the Quaker State motor oils.  So rapidly has his business expanded that he employs four experienced men to assist him, and his establishment is one of the busiest in the city.

            At Petaluma, on July 2, 1912, Mr. Velasco was married to Agnes Daly, born in Athlone, Ireland, a daughter of Thomas and Catherine (Norton) Daly.  They brought their family around Cape Horn to San Francisco, where Mrs. Velasco was reared from her childhood; and it was in that city she attended the public schools.  Mr. Velasco is fond of hunting and fishing.  He belongs to the Woodmen of the World and to the Yuba City Commercial Club.  In politics he is a Republican, but in local issues he believes in supporting the best men and best measures for the good of the community.

 

History of Yuba and Sutter Counties, Historic Record Company, Los Angeles, 1924

p. 1111

 


BACK TO BIOGRAPHIES PAGE

Copyright ©2003, 2004, 2005  Kathy Sedler   ALL RIGHTS RESERVED  These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by any other organization or persons.  Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor. The contributor has given permission to the Yuba Roots website to store the file permanently for free access, but retain the rights to their work.