YUBA COUNTY

Biographies


 

JOHN HAVEY, SR.

 

For sixty-two years a resident of California, John Havey, Sr., is familiar with many of the events that have shaped the history of the State and is now living retired in Smartsville, Yuba County, enjoying in his later years the ease and comfort resulting from a life of industry and thrift.  He was born in Newark, N.J., May 16, 1849, and his parents, Patrick and Mary (Haley) Havey, were both natives of County Roscommon, Ireland.  About 1840 they emigrated to the United States, locating near Newark, N.J., where the father engaged in farming.  In 1853 Patrick Havey started for the Pacific Coast by way of the Isthmus of Panama, his family remaining in the East, and on reaching the Golden State settled at Rose Bar, on the Yuba River.  In 1861 he was joined by his wife, who was accompanied by three of the children, John, Patrick and Katie, and seven years later the older children, Margaret, Elizabeth and Rosanna, followed.  Mr. Havey engaged in mining on the Yuba River and devoted his remaining years to that occupation.  He was born in 1815 and passed away about 1880, while the mother was eighty-two years of age at the time of her demise.  One sister, Mrs. Winnifred Jennings, remained in the East, her home being at Newark.  The brother, Patrick Havey, fought in the Civil War, enlisting at San Francisco in 1862 and serving throughout that conflict.

John Havey, Sr., attended the public schools of Smartsville to the age of fourteen and then began working at hydraulic mining from Timbuctoo to Sucker Flat.  He is familiar with every phase of that industry and laid the foundation for his present prosperity by persistency of purpose and untiring effort.  He has made his home in Smartsville for the past sixteen years and previous to that time resided at Timbuctoo and at Sucker Flat.

Mr. Havey was married at Smartsville, May 8, 1881, to Miss Mary Pryor, who was born in Brooklyn, N.Y., her parents being Michael and Mary (Doyle) Pryor.  Her father came to California in 1855, and a year later was joined by his wife and daughter, Mrs. Havey being then in her infancy.  Mr. Pryor was one of the early miners of this district and for many years resided at Timbuctoo.  He had a family of five children, but Frank, the youngest, is deceased.  Those who survive are Mary Ann, Rosanna, Amanda and Katherine.  Eight children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Havey, namely: Gertrude, who died at the age of six years; Amanda, also deceased; John, a resident of Hammonton; Chester, at home with his parents; Lewis, who met an accidental death in 1922, by being crushed in the machinery of No. 5 Dredger at Marigold; Virginia, the wife of E. D. Bristow, of Niles, Cal.; Lucille, deceased; and Dewey.  Mr. Havey is a true type of that hardy, energetic and enterprising class of men who have done so much to develop the rich mineral resources of this great State.  His success has been won through industry and ability and the respect which is accorded him is well deserved, for honor and integrity are the keynote of his character.

 

History of Yuba and Sutter Counties, Historic Record Company, Los Angeles, 1924

 

p 846

 


 

GEORGE W. FELLOWS

 

Distinguished among the most successful educators in Sutter County, George W. Fellows, principal of the grammar school at Live Oak, enjoys the confidence and esteem of his pupils and associates, and also of the progressive community, which is always solicitous for the best in school equipment and educational training.  He was born at Vinton, Iowa, on April 29, 1886, and there attended the grammar and high schools, after which he matriculated at the Northwestern University at Evanston, majoring in the department of Education.  In 1921 he came to Live Oak, where he accepted the principalship of the grammar school.  Coming from one of the best institutions in the country, and profiting by modern instruction and drill, Professor Fellows has brought to his work and the school life of the town the last word in pedagogy.  Since coming here, he has made many improvements, and the Live Oak Grammar School is now recognized as one of the best, for its size and equipment, in the State.

Professor Fellows’ interests are not wholly limited to the school-room.  In 1913 he came to Glenn County and located near Willows; and there he planted a fruit and grain ranch of forty-five acres, which he still owns and which is in a fine state of cultivation.  While in Iowa, Mr. Fellows was a member of the local Masonic lodge; but in California he has been content to belong to the larger fraternity of good-fellowship and good-will.

 

History of Yuba and Sutter Counties, Historic Record Company, Los Angeles, 1924

p 850

 


BACK TO BIOGRAPHIES PAGE

Copyright ©2003, 2004, 2005  Kathy Sedler   ALL RIGHTS RESERVED  These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by any other organization or persons.  Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor. The contributor has given permission to the Yuba Roots website to store the file permanently for free access, but retain the rights to their work.