~ Q ~



Sacramento Daily Union - 10/12/1866 - Died:  In Forbestown, Butte county, Oct. 8th, Robert, E. son of David and Mary F. Quadlin, aged 1 year, 6 months.




Marysville Daily Appeal - Tues 1/1/1907, p7 - Death of Mrs. Annie Queenan - Mrs. Annie Queenan, an old and respected resident of Yuba county, died at her home at Dobbins on Sunday.  The deceased was a native of Ireland and 57 years of age, and her husband, James Queenan, died many years ago. - She leaves one son, James A. Queenan, who was married to Miss Maud Yore, and whose home is also at Dobbins.  She was a sister of Nell McCrank of Oroville and an aunt of Mrs. Charles Merriam of Dobbins, Mrs. Clark of Rackerby and James McCrank of Brownsville. - The deceased had many friends at Brownsville and Dobbins, where she resided, who will learn with regret that she has passed away. - She was always kind and generous hearted, was a devoted mother, a good neighbor and a true friend. - The funeral will take place from her late residence at 11 o'clock this morning, and the interment will take place in the Brownsville Cemetery.


Weekly Appeal 9/17/1875 DIED In Timbuctoo, September 10th, G. A. Quick, aged 55 years.  (B. S.)


Appeal Democrat - 9/15/1970, p4 - Virgil Robert Quillin, 70, of Linda died at Marysville Convalescent Hospital yesterday after suffering a heart attack. - A native of Everett, Wash., Quillin was a retired carpenter who had lived in this area about 25 years.  His home was at 6305 Dantoni Road. - Quillin had been a patient at the convalescent hospital under treatment for several illnesses. - Survivors include his wife, Nancy; two sons, Ralph Quillin of Seattle, Wash., and Robert Quillin of Marysville; two daughters, Mrs. Virginia Holsey of Linda and Mrs. Martha Hicks of Live Oak; a brother, James Quillin of Everett, Wash.; six grandchildren and one great-grandchild. - Funeral arrangements are pending at Hutchison's Colonial Chapel.

Appeal Democrat - 9/16/1970, p8 - Virgil Robert Quillin, 70, a resident of the Yuba-Sutter area for 25 years, died Monday at the Marysville Convalescent Hospital. - A retired carpenter, he was born in Everett, Wash. - He is survived by his wife, Nancy; two sons, Ralph of Seattle and Robert of Marysville; two daughters, Mrs. Virginia Holsey of Linda and Mrs. Martha Hicks of Live Oak; a brother, James of Everett, Wash.; six grandchildren and one great-grandchild. - Services will be held tomorrow at 2 p.m. at Hutchison's Colonial Chapel with burial in Sierra View Memorial Park.


Appeal Democrat - Feb 18, 1964, page 13 - PATRICK J. QUILTY, 77, of Smartsville, died Sunday in Grass Valley. - A native of Canada, he had lived in Smatsville [sic] since 1938 and had been ditch agent for the Nevada Irrigation District until his retirement. - Quilty was a diamond driller by trade, employed extensively on bridge construction throughout the western states and Canada.  He had worked on the Golden Gate, Oakland Bay and San Rafael bridges, among others. - Survivors include his wife, Thelma, of Smartsville; a brother, Walter Quilty, and two nephews and a niece, all of Canada. - Rosary will be recited tonight at 8 o'clock at the Hooper & Weaver Mortuary, 246 South Church St., Grass Valley. - Funeral services will be held tomorrow at 10 a.m. at the Smartsville Catholic Church.  Interment will be at the Catholic Cemetery, Smartsville. - Memorials to a favorite charity have been suggested.


Marysville Daily Appeal - Sun 2/20/1887, p2 - Deaths:  In this city, February 18th, Ellen Quinn, aged 72 years. - Friends and acquaintances are respectfully invited to attend the funeral from St. Joseph's Cathedral this afternoon at 2 o'clock.


Daily Appeal - 3/28/1871, p2 - Self-Murder - Suicide of John Quinn by Hanging - The Coroner's Inquest and Verdict of the Jury - The usual quiet of the Sabbath day in this city, was greatly distrubed [sic] day before yesterday, by another of those shocking and determined suicides, which from time to time will take place within our midst.  Shortly after three o'clock in the afternoon, Coroner Hamilton was notified that John Quinn, an employee in the Marysville Woolen Mills had committed suicide by hanging, at his residence on B street, between First and Second.  He immediately went to the house, where in the front room, on the ground floor, he found the deceased still suspended by the rope.  The body was immediately cut down, but upon examination it was evident that life had been extinct for some hours as it was perfectly cold.  It was evident from appearance that the suicide was a most determined one.  During the absence of his wife, he had taken down a clothes line in the back yard, and a portion of this he had dropped through a stove pipe hold, opening into the second floor and made the upper end fast to a heavy stick of wood placed across it. He then probably returned to the lower floor, and locked all the doors.  Then mounting a table which stood nearly under the hole, he had adjusted the rope around his neck, and jumped off, falling to within six or eight inches of the floor.  It was thought by many, from the appearance of the corpse, that the neck must have been broken in the fall, but such was not the case, though, without doubt, from the manner in which the rope caught, strangulation must have ensued very quickly.  Various conjectures are made as accounting for the act, but without doubt, the verdict of the Coroner's jury, that it was committed while the deceased was laboring under a fit of temporary insanity, is the more probable.  That he meditated such before, is verified by the fact, that on Saturday he endeavored to obtain some strychnine from Mr. Clark, of the Woolen Mills, ostensibly to kill rats, but Mrs. Quinn states that few are to be found around the premises.  The deceased was about thirty-four years of age, and a native of Ireland.  He was buried yesterday afternoon at four o'clock. - Coroner's Inquest - About 4:30 on Sunday afternoon, Coroner Hamilton summoned a jury, and immediately proceeded to hold an inquest upon the body.  A number of witnesses were examined, the testimony of whom was of little importance, with the exception of the following: - Testimony of Mrs. Quinn. - Mrs. C. M. Quinn, sworn-I reside in this city; the deceased before the jury is my husband; ever since two years ago last November he has not been well; about that time his head was hurt in a quarrel he had had with others at the United States Hotel; since then he has not been himself; some two or three weeks ago he left his work and took the 9 o'clock train for San Francisco; he then seemed out of his mind a little; this morning I got up late, and he had the fire made when I got up; he helped me to move the table; he made the tea and we took breakfast; after breakfast I got ready and went to church; it was then half past 9; when I got ready he was sitting on the end of the lounge in the dining room, and as I had been in the habit of saying to him "Good-by," I said so to him, and he seemed to be of about the same spirits as usual when I left him; he has been apparently out of his mind for over a year, and has threatened to take poison several times; I have been afraid to even let him shave himself on that account; I went to church; I came home with Mrs. Bruce and Mrs. Smedley, and I tried the front door of my house and could not get in, and then went down to Mrs. Engles; then they were all down there fooling, and I stood there for a time; I must have staid at Mrs. Smedley's about an hour; she says I came there about one o'clock, and it must have been about three o'clock when I came back to the house; I could not get into the house; Mr. Knight was standing near by and he asked me if I could not get into the house; I said no; he then came with a key, and it would not fit the door; he went for more keys; he brought them and found the key of the house was in the door; I then went through the wood room and came into the back door of the house and looked on the lounge and could not find my husband; I then went into the front room and looked on the bed and could not see him, and then I looked to my right and saw him, and could not tell whether he was standing or not; I was so frightened I ran out of the house. - D. E. Knight, sworn:-I reside in this city; my occupation is Superintendent of the Woolen Mill; I have known the deceased for about three years; he worked in the mill about that length of time; he had worked about six months, and he came to me and wanted me to pay him his wages; he had had a quarrel with some men, and wanted his money, as he was going to leave the place; I told him he had better stay, for as he had got into the quarrel, he could not get off that way, and it was better to stay and see it out; he has since worked off and on very well, unless he was sick; he was at work yesterday; saw nothing more than usual for him in mind; the time he went to San Francisco as Mrs. Quinn speaks of he wanted thirty dollars, but Mrs. Quinn did not want me to let him have it, as he appeared not in his right mind to go; he said he was going to improve his health, and stay three or four weeks; I told Mrs. Quinn that it might be better for him, so he went, but did not stay only three or four days; he appeared to be a little better when he came home; he said he had looked San Francisco all over, and thought home was the best place, and came home; I came into the house to-day as the wife of the deceased screamed, and found the deceased hanging by the neck in the front room, suspended by a cord dropped through a stove pipe hole from the second floor. - Verdict - We, the jurors summoned by E. Hamilton, Coroner of Yuba county, on the 26th day of March, A.D. 1871, to appear at a house on B street, between Second and Third streets, in the city of Marysville, at half past 4 o'clock p.m., to inquire into the existing circumstances connected with the death of John Quinn, then and there lying dead, do as upon our oaths say that he came to his death by placing a rope around his neck and swinging from a table did suspend himself by the neck until dead.  We therefore say, while he was laboring under mental derangement of mind, he did commit suicide.  He was a native of Bridgeport, Conn. - Wm. Mellor, James Devolt, C. Dowell, H. W. Aubrey, Warren Green, H. C. Newberry, E. C. Baldwin, J. E. Bowman, H. Morse.


Daily Appeal - 2/5/1924, p6 - Deaths - Quirolo - In Los Angeles, Leslie E. Quirolo, son of Mr. and Mrs. V. C. Quirolo, brother of Mervyn, Aileen, Laurel and Raymond Quirolo; former resident of Marysville, Yuba county.


Sacramento Daily Union - 5/13/1891 - Bloody Affray - A Chinaman Stabbed to Death at Timbuctoo - Coroner Bevan of Marysville, says the Appeal, received a letter Sunday evening from Thomas Conlin of Smartsville, stating that a Chinese fight had occurred in Timbuctoo at 8:30 the night before, resulting in the killing of one man and injuring another.  The case was reported by Mr. Conlin as follows:  Three Chinamen were living in a cabin, and a dispute arose between two of them over the division of some gold dust.  One made an attack with a bar of iron and hit the other several times on the head.  The former then grabbed a hatchet and cut him severely with it.  The wounded man then plunged a knife into his assailant's abdomen, about an inch to the right of the navel.  The blade of the knife was about ten inches long and one and a quarter inches wide.  Apparently an inch of the handle went into the body.  The Chinaman who reported the case to Mr. Conlin said the knife hit the Chinaman's backbone, and this was the reason it went no further. - Mr. Conlin wrote that the Chinamen living about there seemed to take no interest in the affair, and profess to know nothing about it. - A man who came down from Smartsville Sunday said that he understood that the aggressor plunged the knife into the other in the beginning of a row. - A dispatch was afterwards received stating that one of the Chinamen was dead, so Coroner Bevan went up there yesterday morning.  In the afternoon he telegraphed the District Attorney that there were three men concerned in the row, and that he would bury one and hold the others in custody. - At 5:30 p.m. Mr. Forbes left for the scene of the murder.  Up to 12 o'clock last night neither Mr. Forbes nor Mr. Bevan had returned.  It was supposed that it was the intention to have the preliminary examination after holding the inquest, and then bring the murderer down. - Later Particulars - A telegram received by the Record-Union late last evening from Marysville says that Coroner Bevan and District Attorney Forbes had just returned from the scene, giving further particulars of the affray.  It appears that Ah Quong and Ah Yate got into a dispute over the distribution of some gold dust which they had been mining.  Quong hit Yate several times over the head with an iron bar, and then grabbed a hatchet.  Yate then thrust a ten-inch-blade knife through his assailant, from which the latter died next morning.  Yate was released from custody as there was not enough evidence to convict him.