Marysville Evening Democrat - 1/12/1915, p1 & 8 - Fourth Street Scene of Domestic Tragedy This Morning - Mrs. John Giblin Fired Bullet Into Her Breast and Died a Few Minutes Later - With the warning of "I'm going to kill myself" and a farewell of "goodbye" to her thirteen-year-old daughter, Bernice, Mrs. John Giblin, wife of a well known saloonman of Marysville, placed a revolver to her breast at her home on Fourth and F streets shortly before 8 o'clock this morning and fired a fatal shot into her body.  She made an outcry after the shot, but died almost immediately, on a bed on which she was sitting when she aimed the weapon, a 38 calibre Smith & Wesson, and pulled the trigger.  Dr. G. W. Stratton was hurriedly called by relatives, but a few minutes later when he arrived the victim was pronounced as dead. - Witnessed by Young Daughter - The tragedy, which makes the second suicide in this city in two days, was greatly intensified in its horrors by the fact that it was witnessed by the young daughter, who had not at the time arose from her bed for the day.  The latter saw her mother take the revolver out from under a pillow on the bed and remonstrated with her, it is said, when she spoke of killing herself.  Horror-stricken and almost dumb with fear, the little girl rose to a sitting posture in a corner of the bed against the wall, only a moment later to have the sound of the fatal shot pierce her ears and see her mother tumble backward on the bed. - Husband Also Saw Tragedy - Just before she turned the revolver on herself, Mrs. Giblin was standing at a dresser in the bedroom combing her hair.  Her husband, who had gone into an adjacent room to lace his shoes near a heating stove, could plainly see her through an open door.  While he was engaged at dressing, Giblin declared after the tragedy to-day, he noticed his wife stop suddenly in her task and stare at him strangely for a moment or two.  Then as though moved by a sudden resolve, she faced about and started toward the head of the bed, passing out of view of her husband in the other room.  The latter divining by her strange actions that his wife intended to secure the weapon that was always kept under his pillow, rushed toward the room.  When he reached the threshold of the door Mrs. Giblin had the muzzle of the weapon pressed against her breast.  He reached toward her to grasp the revolver, but with his outstretched hand still about a foot away, the report rang out.  When the victim saw her husband approach through the doorway she remarked, referring to the weapon; "How do you operate this?"  These words died on her lips. - Acted Strangely for a Week - At his home, in the presence of Coroner Jack Kelly and a newspaper reporter, soon after the affair, Giblin said he knew of no direct cause why his wife should take her life.  "It all came with a terrible suddenness to me," he said.  "I cannot account for it unless there was something wrong with her mind.  For about a week she had acted strangely at times, which was brought particularly to my attention a few days ago, when she made peculiar remarks about herself and other people." - Attended Show Last Night - According to Giblin, himself, Mrs. Giblin and their daughter attended a show last night, and his wife appeared to be in unusually good spirits.  They did not retire immediately after returning home, but mixed some cream and engaged in considerable jollity about the house.  When they did retire, Giblin and the daughter went to the regular bed room, while  Mrs. Giblin lay down on a couch in the adjacent room.  About 2 o'clock this morning the husband arose for a short time and persuaded his wife to retire in the bedroom, as it was cold and there were not sufficient covers in the other room. - About 6 o'clock Mrs. Giblin got out of bed again.  She rapped on the floor and called to her father, Martin Moran, who lives in the same house, to get up and build a fire.  Awakened by the commotion, Giblin made inquiry of his wife about her movement so early in the morning and was told by her that she was "going out to get some butter."  The two then jestingly spoke of the cream they had brought home in the evening, and after again repeating that she was going out, Mrs. Giblin returned to bed.  Nothing further occurred, it is said, until the suicide this morning. - Comparatively Young Woman - Mrs. Giblin was comparatively a young woman, being only about 33 years old, and attractive in appearance.  She had been married to Giblin about 15 years.  Besides owning the Elite saloon in Marysville, the latter is part owner of the noted Giblin fruit orchard near Yuba City in Sutter county. - For some time there have been reports of domestic trouble between the two, and while Giblin did not deny today that there have been disputes and misunderstandings between himself and wife, he positively denied that there had been any row leading up to the tragedy this morning.  He also stated that his wife was greatly atached [sic] to their daughter. - There are several other relatives including her father, a brother, James Moran, and a sister, who was formerly Mrs. George Belding of this city. - Takes Charge of Remains - The remains were taken in charge this morning, shortly after the suicide, by Coroner Kelly and his deputies and removed to the morgue.  An inquest will be held as soon as the arrangements can be made.

Marysville Evening Democrat - 1/13/1915, p1 - Witnesses Say Mrs. Giblin Was Mentally Unbalanced - Had Acted Strangely For Some Months And Relatives Had Been Cautioned - Developments at the coroner's inquest here Wednesday to inquire into the cause of the death of Mrs. Kathryn Giblin, wife of a prominent orchardist and saloonman of this district which committed suicide at her home Tuesday by shooting herself in the breast, tend to show that the victim was troubled with a mild form of insanity for a long period preceding the act of self destruction.  Only part of the testimony was taken today and the examination will be continued Thursday morning at 10 o'clock by Coroner Kelly.  Three witnesses, John Giblin, husband of the suicide, Dr. Bernard Kaufman and Dr. G. W. Stratton were questioned today. - Indications of insanity were contained in statements made by Dr. Kaufman, who testified that during his services as physician for the Giblin family, which have extended over  a period of about three years, he had quite frequently detected signs of a deranged mind.  He explained to the jury that she was troubled with "persecutory delusions."  Alcoholism, he said, was a contributory cause to this condition.  When suffering in this way, the physician indicated that a person was not responsible for his or her acts.  The witness related an incident as late as last August, when it required the strength of three men to hold Mrs. Giblin in bed, because of manifestations of unnatural physical power. - Tentative opinions of the victim's unbalanced state of mind were formed by him from this and other incidents, the doctor said.  Dr. Kaufman also said that he advised members of the family to provide treatment for the patient at a sanitarium, and not leave her alone in the home with only one other person present, because of an attack it would take more than one to handle her with her strength. - Dr. G. W. Stratton related his connection with the affair of yesterday, he having been called immediately after the shot was fired.  The bullet entered the left breast and touched the heart.  Death was described as being due to internal hemorrhage and shock. - The husband's testimony was in regard to his wife's name and age.  He said she was 33 years old. - The jury selected to hear the evidence in the inquest is composed of the following:  Floyd Seawell, W. F. Corey, Harry Collins, George F. Herzog, J. E. Lewis and Charles Schellenger. - Several witnesses besides those heard today are summoned for the adjourned inquest tomorrow, and it is expected that some sensational evidence will be introduced.  Among those who may testify are A. L. Hanscombe, representative of the Kath Land company, whose name was brought into the affair yesterday by the husband, and the producing of letters that are said to have been written by the promoter to Mrs. Giblin.  He had been notified to remain in his office so he may be called if desired by Coroner Kelly.  Charges of improper relations between Mrs. Giblin and Hanscombe have been made, and the latter, it was learned today has made arrangements to secure legal representation if deemed necessary.  He has also intimated that he can justify all of his relations with Mrs. Giblin, which are made to appear as of a purely business nature. - Some of the victim's relatives, especially a brother, James Moran, appear to side with the man accused of having a relation to the suicide case.  Moran has been associated with Hanscombe in a business way here for some time. - The funeral of Mrs. Giblin, which will be held Friday forenoon from a local undertaking parlor, will be private.

Marysville Evening Democrat - 1/14/1915, p1 & 8 - Coroner's Jury Says Mrs. Giblin Was Insane When She Shot Herself - Victim Subject to Hallucinations of Many Sorts And Had Acted Queerly For Months -  "We, the jury, find that the deceased, Kathryn Giblin, a native of California, aged 33 years, came to her death in the city of Marysville, on the 12th day of January, 1915, from a gunshot wound, self-inflicted, with a suicidal intent.  And we further find that Kathryn Giblin was insane." - The above is the verdict returned Thursday forenoon by the coroner's jury impaneled to inquire into the cause of the death of the late Mrs. Kathryn Giblin, who ended her life at her home here on Fourth street Tuesday, under circumstances reported to be more or less mysterious. - Following the resumption of the hearing today, there were few new developments, notwithstanding numerous sensational reports involving others than the suicide.  John Giblin, husband of the deceased, and Tom Giblin, a brother, were the only two witnesses questioned this morning.  Most of their testimony, however, was in regard to the peculiar actions of Mrs. Giblin before the tragedy.  Statements made by Tom Giblin tended strongly to show that the mind of the victim had been disordered for several months, or at least she was a sufferer from temporary spells of insanity.  The clause in the verdict of insanity is based upon testimony submitted by the latter, husband of the deceased, and Dr. B. Kaufman. - District Attorney E. Ray Manwell conducted the examination.  A. H. Hewitt, an attorney of Yuba City was present at the hearing as a representative of the Giblin family. - J. E. Lewis acted as foreman of the jury, which was composed of the following besides himself:  Floyd S. Seawell, C. E. Schellenger, George F. Herzog, H. J. Collins and W. F. Corey. - The husband of the victim went through much the same story that has already been related in detail by the newspapers.  He told of her getting out of bed about 6 o'clock on the morning of the tragedy and calling to her father to make a fire; of her returning to bed and later arising again at about 7:45 and announcing that she was going down town on an errand. - He also stated that his wife fell backward on the bed on their thirteen-year-old daughter, Bernice, whom, a few moments before she had kissed goodbye, after firing the fatal shot.  Giblin said that he was told his wife had kissed the young daughter goodbye. - In explaining the reason why the revolver was so accessible, the witness said that he had been warned by his wife to be on the lookout for "this fellow."  In effect, his testimony in this regard was that his wife had made statements such as to cause him to believe that his life was endangered.  The mysterious person of whom Giblin was warned is evidently the same one who has been an important, but indefinite principal in the affairs of the victim all through the case. - An interesting feature of the husband's testimony was contained in a statement by the husband indicating that the emotions of Mrs. Giblin had been greatly stirred by a motion picture which she had witnessed at a local theater the night before the tragedy.  She appeared to have been greatly affected by the play, the husband testified.  During one of the conversations several hours before the suicide, Mrs. Giblin is alleged to have remarked "that show was intended for me."  She also inquired of her husband if he ever said his prayers, it was testified. - When asked the subject of the photo-play, Giblin declared that it depicted a tragedy wherein two men were fighting over the love of a woman.  The moral Mrs. Giblin appeared to think applied to her case, according to the evidence given. - Since the first of the year his wife had demanded that he accompany their daughter to school, which was a distance of about only two blocks away, Giblin said.  On one occasion when he missed the daughter, Mrs. Giblin is said to have screamed and manifested other signs of insanity over the incident, which ordinarily would have been regarded in an infinitesimally small light. - The testimony of Tom Giblin almost in its entirety was in relation to the strange action of the victim for the past several months. - Since August, he said, Mrs. Giblin had manifested signs of a disordered mentality.  On one occasion in the latter part of August she acted like a crazy woman, he said.  There has been suggestions, declared the witness, to have his wife take care of the patient, which was advised against by Dr. Kaufman, for the reason that it was not safe to leave any one person alone in the house with the victim. - December 29th Giblin said he was notified over the telephone by his sister-in-law that she was in trouble and requested that he come to her house in this city.  Although he could get answers over the telephone, the witness stated that when he went to the house he was not admitted as no one would answer his alarms on the door.  This struck him as very unusual for within he could hear the sound of footsteps, he said. - Again on January 7th he got a call to come to the home of his sister-in-law in haste.  On this occasion the witness said he found Mrs. Giblin extremely nervous and evidently in trouble of some kind.  She repeatedly declared that someone was endeavoring to blackmail her.  She made the statement that "I want to protect you boys."  She talked of some proposal she had to make.  This proposal was that her husband give her $10,000 for her one-sixth interest in the Giblin orchard in Sutter county.  If this was done, the victim is alleged to have said, the brothers would be saved a lot of trouble.  The interest in the orchard was deeded by John Giblin to his wife only recently.  She said she would agree to turn back her interest for the amount specified.  It was at this meeting that Tom Giblin heard for the first time of the property dispute.  He was not told the name of the alleged blackmailer, however. - Whenever taken with these spells of evident insanity it was testified that it was the custom of the victim  to endeavor to secure liquor, which had actuated her husband to advise druggists and others in Marysville not to furnish it to her.  Asked frankly his opinion of his sister-in-law's mental condition, Giblin declared she was insane, so much so that he was afraid to be around her. - A. L. Hanscombe, a local promoter, who is reported to have sent letters to Mrs. Giblin in regard to the land matter, was not called as a witness, although predicted by some that he would be.