HISTORY OF YUBA COUNTY CALIFORNIA
by Thompson & West, 1879, with illustrations
Chapter XVIII - Societies of Marysville
MARYSVILLE PIONEER SOCIETY
Thirty-three gentlemen assembled at the City Hall, February 20, 1869, and organized this society by adopting a constitution and by-laws, and electing the following officers: - G.N. Swezey, President; James T. Dickey and James G. Dow, Vice-Presidents; J.B. Leaman, Recording Secretary; Wm. G. Murphy, Corresponding Secretary; Wm. H. Hartwell, Treasurer; Dr. S.M. Miles, Dr. E. Teegarden, James Williamson, J.C. Smith, John Keller, A.W. Cutts, and J.A. Murray, Directors. Sections one and two of the Constitution are as follows: -
"This Association shall be called the Marysville Pioneer Society. Its object will be to cultivate the social virtues of its members, to collect and preserve information connected with the early settlement of the country, and to perpetuate the memory of those whose sagacity, enterprise, and love of independence induced them to settle in the wilderness and become the germ of a new State."
"This Society shall be composed of native Californians, foreigners and citizens of the United States resident in California prior to the ninth of September, 1850, and their male descendants who have attained the age of eighteen years, who shall be entitled to all the privileges and benefits of the Society. Honorary and life members may be admitted in accordance with the provisions contained in the by-laws."
The society had a membership of one hundred and twenty-five, and had at one time one hundred and thirty-five. The property amounts to $250. Regular meetings are held the last Monday in each month at the City Hall. The present officers are: - L. H. Babb, President; A.J. Batchelder, Vice President; A.J. Cumberson, Secretary; Wm. M. Bell, Treasurer; B. Bigelow, Marshal.
LIST OF MEMBERS
Those marked * were charter members. Those marked + are dead. The name is followed by the year of arrival in the State, and their place of nativity.
|Lyman Ackley||1849||New Jersey||Henry Eilerman||1850||Germany|
|Thomas Alpaugh||1849||New York||G.S. Ely||1849||Connecticut|
|Jackson Arnot||1849||Pennsylvania||*+G.W. Fairlee||1849||Ohio|
|L.H. Babb||1849||New Hampshire||*H.M. Gazley||1849||New York|
|Charles Baird||1849||Ohio||+John Geltzhauser||1849||Germany|
|Herndon Barrett||1850||Virginia||Milton B. Gordon||1850||Pennsylvania|
|A.J. Batchelder||1850||Massachusetts||*H.S. Graves||1849||Connecticut|
|William M. Bell||1849||Pennsylvania||T.H. Hains||1850||Ohio|
|Benjamin Bigelow||1850||Nova Scotia||Francis Hamblin||1849||Maine|
|E.M. Binninger||1849||Illinois||+E. Hamilton||1849||Massachusetts|
|S.A. Blake||1849||James H. Hanson||1850||Maryland|
|J.M. Blanchard||1849||Kentucky||C.C. Harrington||1850||Rhode Island|
|S. Blodgett||1850||New York||+William H. Hartwell||1850||Maine|
|J.M. Braden||1849||Pennsylvania||Henry Heitman||1849||Germany|
|*S.T. Brewster||1849||New York||A.J. Hewitt||1850||Virginia|
|*John G. Briggs||1849||New York||Francis Heyland||1850||Illinois|
|I.E. Brown||1849||Maine||H.M. Hollister||1850||Massachusetts|
|Thomas Brown||1849||England||Edward Hooper||1849||Maryland|
|S.R. Chandler||1849||Ohio||+Charles R. Howe||1850||Massachusetts|
|*F.C. Chase||1849||Massachusetts||*+William K. Hudson||1849||Maine|
|E.G. Clark||1849||G.P. Hunt||1850||England|
|Jacob Brown Clark||1849||Tennessee||James Hunter||1850||Ohio|
|Joseph Clark||1850||Pennsylvania||H.F. Hyde||1849||Massachusetts|
|E.H. Clements||1849||Alabama||Charles Justis||1850||Pennsylvania|
|M.S. Cleveland||1849||New York||+Gabriel Katzenstein||1850||France|
|Thomas S. Clyma||1850||Wisconsin||*John Keller||1849||France|
|J.G. Cornell||1849||New York||*Henry Kerns||1849||Ireland|
|Charles Covillaud||son of pioneer||California||Joseph H. Kerns||son of pioneer||California|
|L.F. Crafts||1850||Pennsylvania||Philip W. Keyser||1849||Maryland|
|L.P. Crane||1849||Pennsylvania||John Kupser||1849||Switzerland|
|L.T. Crane||1849||Maine||Joseph Lask||1849||Prussia|
|*+Antoine Cretian||1849||France||*James B. Leaman||1849||Pennsylvania|
|Lucien Cretian||1849||New York||B.R. Lippincott||1849||Pennsylvania|
|Domingo Cuadro||1849||Chili <sic>||A.J. Lucas||1850||New York|
|*A.J. Cumberson||1849||New York||+E. Mattoon||1849||Massachusetts|
|A.W. Cutts||1849||Maine||V.C. Mau||1849||Pennsylvania|
|A.D. Cutts||son of pioneer||Maine||*W.K. McClintock||1849||Massachusetts|
|D.C. Day||1850||Ohio||W.A. McLaughlin||1850||Maine|
|Thomas Deane||1850||Virginia||John V. McMurty||1849||Kentucky|
|William Delvine||1849||Belgium||William McMurty||1849||Kentucky|
|*James Devalt||1849||George Merritt||1849||New York|
|*James T. Dickey||1849||Alabama||*+S.M. Miles||1849||Connecticut|
|*James G. Dow||1849||Ireland||E.W. Mull||1850||Pennsylvania|
|William Downie||1849||New York||*William G. Murphy||1846||Tennessee|
|Stephen Eaton||1849||New York|
|*+J.A. Murray||1850||New York||+J. Smith||1849||New York|
|D.P. Newbert||1849||Maine||*John C. Smith||1849||Ohio|
|G.W. Nicholsen||1849||Virginia||N.D. Smith||1849||Massachusetts|
|*G.R. Nightingill||1849||Ohio||*Tartin Smith||1849||Virginia|
|A.L. Noyes||1850||New Hampshire||John C. Spangler||1850||Germany|
|A.W. Oakley||1850||New York||James B. Stafford||1849||Ohio|
|W.H. Perdue||1850||Maryland||R.K. Stevenson||1850||North Carolina|
|Milton Person||1849||Ohio||O.P. Stidger||1849||Ohio|
|E.H. Pratt||1849||Massachusetts||Charles E. Stone||1849||Massachusetts|
|Daniel Prescott||1850||Maine||L.S. Sullinger||1849||Kentucky|
|Aaron Pugh||1850||Ohio||*+G.N. Swezy||1849||New York|
|W.M. Rackerby||1849||Missouri||Charles E. Swezy||son of pioneer||California|
|J.M. Reese||1850||New York||+H.S. Taylor||1849||England|
|S.J.S. Rogers||1850||Massachusetts||*Eli Teegarden||1850||Ohio|
|E.C. Ross||1850||New York||*Charles H. Thurston||1847||New Jersey|
|George P. Russell||1849||New Hampshire||Jacob Tomb||1850||Pennsylvania|
|C.F. Scholl||1850||Wurtemberg||*J.R. Totman||1850||New York|
|*H.H. Schussler||1849||Alabama||H.R.D. Townsend||1849||New York|
|*John Seaward||1849||Maine||James Traynor||1849||Pennsylvania|
|*+L.R. Sellon||1849||New Jersey||Albert G. Turner||1849||Maine|
|*Newton Sewell||1849||Ohio||Peter Van Clief||1849||Ohio|
|H.J. Shulee||Germany||+Henry Weil||1850||Germany|
|H.F. Shultz||1849||*C. Westenhaver||1849||Ohio|
|+Theodore Sicard||1833||France||*A.P. Willey||1849||Maine|
|Andrew J. Sluman||1849||Massachusetts||*James Williamson||1849||Scotland|
THE AGRICULTURAL, HORTICULTURAL AND MECHANICAL SOCIETY OF THE NORTHERN DISTRICT OF CALIFORNIA
The territory included in this association embracers the counties of Placer, Yolo, Napa, Sonoma, and all that portion of the State lying north of them, including in all twenty counties. The society was organized May 4, 1859, by the election of the following officers: - G.N. Swezy, President; Chas. M. Gorham, Secretary; J.H. Kinkead, Treasurer; Vice-Presidents, - Yuba County, J.S. Eshom, E.T. Wilkins, and Charles Covillaud; Sutter county, E.B. Stephens and W.H. Parks; Butte county, Benj. Bliven and Washington Henshaw; Plumas county, T.B. Shannon and D.R. Cates; Colusa county, Mr. Singleterry; Nevada county, Josiah Royce; Shasta county, Mr. Town; Sierra county, C. Cooper; Placer county, Dr. J.R. Crandall; Tehama county, J.C. Doll. The first annual fair was held by this society at Marysville, commencing August 30, 1859, and continuing one week. The officers for 1860 were: - G.N. Swezy, President; Chas. M. Gorham, Secretary; Chas. T. Low, Treasurer. The fair was held one week, commencing September 3. In 1861, G.N. Swezy was President; Chas. M. Gorham, Secretary; A.D. Starr, Treasurer; S.W. Selby, First Vice-President. The fair was held September 9, 1861, continuing one week. The offices for 1862 were: - G.N. Swezy, President; John T. Baily, Secretary; James W. Moore, Treasurer. No fair was held this year by the society.
The officers for 1863 were: - G.N. Swezy, President; Charles M. Gorham, Secretary; N.D. Rideout, Treasurer. The fourth annual fair was held at Marysville, commencing September 7, 1863, and lasting one week. The premium distributed this year amounted to $3,251. There was no election for officers in 1864, and no fair was held. In 1865 the officers were: - James Haworth, President, vice, G.N.Swezy, resigned; Charles M. Gorham, Secretary; N.D. Rideout, Treasurer. the fifth fair was held August 28, 1865, lasting one week. Purses and premiums amounted to $3,812. The officers for the year 1866 were: - G.N. Swezy, President; Chas. M. Gorham, Secretary; S.W. Selby, Treasurer. The fair lasted one week, commencing September 3, 1866. In 1867, there was no election and no fair was held. The officers elected in 1868 were: - W.H. Parks, President; J.C. Donley, Secretary; C.G. Bockius, Treasurer. The seventh fair was held at Marysville one week, commencing September 7, 1868. In 1869 the officers were: - W.H. Parks, President; J.C. Donley, Secretary; M. Marcuse, Treasurer. A fair was held September 3, continuing one week. The officers of 1870 were: - G.N. Swezy, President; J.C. Donley, Secretary; Charles M. Gorham, Treasurer. The fair lasted one week, commencing September 5. The officers elected in 1871 were: - S.W. Selby, President; J.C. Donley, Secretary; M. Marcuse, Treasurer. Before the fair was held, Mr. Selby resigned, and S.T. Brewster succeeded him. The fair continued from October 9th to the 14th. In 1872, the following officers were elected: - S.T. Brewster, President; J.C. Donley, Secretary; M. Marcuse, Treasurer. The fair lasted one week from September 2. There was no fair nor election of officers in 1873.
The officers of 1874 were: - D.E. Knight, President; W.G. Murphy, Secretary; M. Marcuse, Treasurer. No fair was held. The officers elected for 1875 were: - L.B. Ayer, President; C.M. Patterson, Secretary; J.N. Selby, Treasurer. Mr. Selby resigned September 4, and A.C. Bingham was elected. The fair commenced October 11, and continued one week. In 1876, the officers were: - L.B. Ayer, President; C.M. Patterson, Secretary; A.C. Bingham, Treasurer. The fair continued one week, beginning October 23. The officers of 1877 were: - W.P. Harkey, President; W.T. McLean, Secretary; C.A. Stratton, Treasurer. The fair commenced September 10, and lasted one week. The officers in 1878 were: - W.P. Harkey, President; C.M. Patterson, Secretary; D.E. Knight, Treasurer. The fair commenced September 23, and continued one week. The premiums paid amounted to $1,537, and the purses to $3,750. The officers for the current year are: - D.H. Cowden, President; Charles M. Patterson, Treasurer; William Singer, Jr., Secretary.
The association owns a large park just north of the city, on which are buildings and stalls required to accommodate a large display of stock, machinery, products, etc., and a splendid race-course. By a provision in the charter, the fair is always to be held in Marysville. The society is out of debt, and in a flourishing condition. Owing to the establishment of local associations in other counties of the district, but few of them now contribute to the success of the district fair.
MARYSVILLE LIBRARY ASSOCIATION (CITY LIBRARY)
A number of the leading citizens assembled February 10, 1855, and formed a society called the Young Men's Literary and Scientific Association, which was subsequently incorporated under the name of the Marysville Library Association, with a capital stock of $25,000, divided into one thousand shares. They elected Edwards Woodruff, President; Dr. D.W.C. Rice, Vice-President; Dr. J.T. McLean, Corresponding Secretary; F.H. Woodward, Recording Secretary; Mark Brumagim, Treasurer; John S. Eckman, J.E. Galloway, Rev. D.A. Dryden, Warren P. Miller, William K. Hudson, William Hawley, T.B. Reardon, D.C. Benham, and A.A. Vantine, Directors. The object of the association was to collect a library and maintain a reading-room, where the members could enjoy themselves in a manner not possible elsewhere, and by pleasant social communion and the literary advantages offered by such an association, improve in mental culture.
It was afterwards decided that the advantages of the library should be extended to all the citizens, and to that end the trustees of the association, December 15, 1858, deeded the library to the city, making it conditional in the deed of transfer that the library should be kept open certain hours every day and should be free to the citizens of Marysville, that the Council should annually appropriate two hundred and fifty dollars for the purchase of books, and should pay the expenses of the library and the salary of the librarian. The city has, however, made but two or three appropriations for the purchase of books, though the library has been always kept in good condition and a librarian supplied.
The library is open every evening from seven to nine o'clock, except on Saturday and Sunday. Saturday the hours are from two until five o'clock in the afternoon. During library hours the room is open to all as a free reading-room; books may be drawn upon the depositing of five dollars as security for any loss or damage, the money to be refunded when the person depositing it ceases to draw books. The affairs are managed by a board of ten trustees. The number of volumes in the library at different periods has been: - 1855, 500; 1858, 2,000; 1870, 2,900; 1874, 3,250; 1879, 3,470. Miss Jane Jones, the present librarian, has filled that position since 1872. The library room is in the rear of the court room in City Hall.
The names of the present Directors are: - N.D. Rideout, Peter Decker, J.H. Jewett, W.T. Ellis, W.C. Crooks, Frank Hudson, G.W. Pine, P.C. Slattery, C.C. Harrington, and James Traynor. The Executive Committee are: - Peter Decker, W.C. Crooks, and Frank Hudson, the last two having been appointed by the City Council. The success of the library is due to the generous assistance extended by several of the more wealthy and cultured gentlemen of the city. They have spared neither their time nor their money in keeping up the institution from which the people at large derive so much benefit. Prominent among these is Hon. Peter Decker, who for several years has been a member of the Board of Directors, and a leading spirit in the midst.
MARYSVILLE TURN VEREIN
This society was first organized May 27, 1856, by the following members: - Baron, President; Sattler, Secretary; Specht, Treasurer; Simonson, Mendheim, Lemar, Yagle, Lehman, Tellner, Scholl, Bender, Newburger, and Catig. None of these gentlemen are now in the city. The society had a brief existence and was re-organized November 17, 1857. Of the new society, the first officers were: - F.W. Gerichten, President; Henry Walters, Secretary; H. Eilerman, Treasurer; John Winkler, First Turnwart; G.A. Bender, Second Turnwart; Felix Reize, Steward. December 17, 1866, the society amalgamated with the Liederkranz Verein under the name of the Marysville Turn Liederkranz Verein. A few years ago the word Liederkranz was dropped from the title of the society. The society is social, musical, gymnastic, and benevolent in its character, and has a fund for the benefit of sick members. The society holds an annual picnic on the first Sunday in May. In the hall on E street between Third and Fourth streets, are occasionally given dramatic representations, concerts, dances, gymnastic exhibitions, etc. The present officers are:- A. Fischer, President; A.F. Meyer, Secretary; A. Hochstadter, Treasurer; S. Lewek, First Turnwart; A. Niewind, Second Turnwart; E. Kosby, Singwart; F. Rupart, O.
MARYSVILLE LIEDEKRANZ VEREIN
This society, as its name indicates, was a singing society, and was organized in the fall of 1855. The gentlemen who organized it were: - L. Scheu, L. Glassen, E. Graf, J. Levi, H. Heitmann, J.F. Flathmann, R. Blum, V. Schwab, and E. Snowhite. The first officers were: - E. Snowhite, President; H. Heitmann, Vice-President; E. Graf, Secretary; L. Glasson, Treasurer. Prof. Arnold was leader in 1855. Prof. Grambss became leader in 1856, and remained as such until the society became united with the Turn Verein, December 17, 1866.
MARYSVILLE TURNER HALL
This hall is situated on E street, between Third and Fourth streets, and belongs to the Turn Verein. The hall was built in 1870 at a cost of $12,000. It was partly destroyed by fire in July, 1878, but was immediately repaired at an expense of $4,000. The hall contains a large stage, auditorium, and gallery; in the rear the gymnasium room is located. Here are held the concerts, exhibitions, dances, and meetings of the society.
HEBREW BENEVOLENT SOCIETY
This society is purely a benevolent one. Article two of the constitution says: - "The funds of the society shall be appropriated as follows: relief to the poor, needy, sick and the burial of the dead of the Jewish persuasion in Marysville and vicinity."
The society was organized in 1853, and in 1855 we find the following members: - M. Marcuse, T. Hyman, K.L. Stone, Jonas S. Barman, H. Bervin, M. Brooks, M.A. Bromberger, H. Barman, B. Bloom, S. Cohn, M.L. Cohen, A. Cohen, N. Deorgowsky, A. Englander, D.N. Friesleben, L. Feder, Levy Greentree, J. Hochstadter, Isaac Krimer, E. Katzenstein, E.A. Kusel, Louis Levy, Charles Levy, Simon Levey, Jacob Myers, A. Mendelson, J.H. Moses, A. Muhlendorf, D. Moses, A. Mundt, E. Newberger, H. Negbauer, I. Pforzheimer, H. Reyman, A.D. Rice, S. Schwartz, S.L. Stone, --Tobias, B. Wolff, H. Wagner , J.S. Winehill, and S. Worms. Of the above, M. Marcuse, E. Katzenstein, and H. Wagner are still active members. The first officers were: - E. Newberger, President; J.S. Winehill, Vice-President; T. Hyman, Treasurer; M. Marcuse, Secretary; E. Katzenstein, K.L. Stone, M. Mendelson, J.S. Barman, and Jacob Meyers, Directors.
The society owns a cemetery, near the City Cemetery, known as the Jewish Burial Ground, in which have been buried the people of that faith since the organization of the society. It is one block square, and is surrounded by a high brick wall that cost one thousand dollars. The society has also a brick house that is used in connection with the cemetery. There are now in the treasury about five hundred dollars; seven thousand dollars have been disbursed in charities since the society was organized. The membership is at present twenty-two, though at one time it reached forty-five. The present officers are: - M. Marcuse, President; E. Cohn, Vice-President; H. Wagner, Treasurer; N. Schneider, Secretary.
MARYSVILLE HIBERNIAN BENEVOLENT SOCIETY
The society was organized January 28, 1858, and its objects are declared by Section two of the constitution to be, "the relief of its sick members, the interment of deceased members, the moral tuition of each other, the propagation of general intelligence, unity, friendship and brotherly love among its members."
The charter members were: - Thomas J. Power, John Sprig, I.H. Gilmore, M. O'Connor, James Ennis, Timothy Delay, Henry Kerns, Thomas Donovan, C. Cotter, Matthew Woods, and thirty-three others. Of these, T.J. Power, T. Delay, and Matt. Woods are still members. The first officers were: - M. O'Connor, President; P. Conroy, Vice-President; Daniel O'Connor, Recording Secretary; William Healy, Financial Secretary; James Ennis, Treasurer. The highest number of members was one hundred and sixteen; at present there are but thirty-eight.
The value of the lodge property, exclusive of regalias, is seventy-five dollars. Five hundred dollars and eighty-three cents have been disbursed for sick benefits and burial expenses. The society meets on D street, between First and Second streets, the last Thursday in each month. The present officers are: - Thomas J. Power, President; J. Crowley, Vice-President (since deceased); Dennis Hayes, Treasurer; Daniel W. Slevin, Secretary.
ST. JOSEPH'S CHURCH SOCIETY
This society was organized in the month of October, 1864. Article one, Section two, of the constitution declares: - "The objects of this society are to liquidate any indebtedness of the church; to promote Catholic education, as well as harmony and good feeling among its members; to encourage a due observance of church discipline; to devise means to keep the church and Bishop's residence in proper repair; to provide for burial of deceased members, and to secure the benefits of the monthly Masses offered for the members."
The original members were: - Rev. Thomas Grace, P.L. Bunce, M. McAdams, James Clarke, P. Corcoran, John Horsch, C.W. Lovett, and some others. The first officers were: - P.L. Bunce, President; M. McAdams, Vice-President; John Horsch, Secretary; C.W. Lovett, Treasurer. The membership at present is one hundred and ten, which is as high as at any previous time. The society is in good financial condition, and has disbursed, since its organization, in the objects above enumerated, the sum of four thousand seven hundred dollars. It also has a library containing about six hundred volumes. The society flagged in zeal a few years ago, but was reorganized in April, 1875. The present officers are: - P.L. Bunch, President; J.R. Burns, Vice-President; Hugh McGuire, Secretary; P. Corcoran, Treasurer; N. Gafford, Librarian. The Chaplain is always the Father in charge of the church. At present that position is held by Rev. Thomas Grace.
FATHER MATTHEW TEMPERANCE SOCIETY
A branch of this society existed in Marysville, in 1874-76. It met the first and third Sundays in St. Joseph's Hall, basement of St. Joseph's Cathedral. It had at one time fifty members, but the number gradually diminished until the society finally died out. The officers in 1874 were: - James McCaig, President; M.J. Kelleher, Vice President; Michael O'Connor, Secretary; S.A. Riggs, Treasurer; Father Grace, Chaplain.
MARYSVILLE BENEVOLENT ASSOCIATION
In February, 1869, a society was organized which had as its object the establishment of a system of charity that not only should relieve the citizens from frequent calls for aid from the poor, by assisting all that were deserving so far as their necessities should require and the funds of the society permit, but should also see that none but those who were deserving should receive assistance.
The first officers elected were: - President, Rev. J.N. Martin; Secretary, Rev. A.A. McAlister; Treasurer, Sanford Blodgett; Charity Committee - First Ward, Rev. A.A. McAlister and S. Blodgett; Second Ward, Rev. Martin Guhl and C.M. Patterson; Third Ward, Rev. Father Kelley and Rev. Dr. McKaig; Fourth Ward, Rev. J.N. Martin, H.B. Williamson, and Geo. W. Peacock.
The society is composed of twenty active members who are elected by the citizens at an annual meeting held for that purpose. Regular meetings for the active members are held at Water Works Hall the first Saturday of each month. The society is supported by the voluntary contributions of the citizens, and has for the past four years received $500 from the State, annually. The amount at present in the Treasurer's hands is $365, and since its organization the society has distributed $13,054.10 in charitable objects. The present officers are: - President, N. Sewell; Treasurer, A.C. Bingham; Secretary, R.G. Stanwood; Directors - - First Ward, N. Sewell and W.A. McLaughlin; Second Ward, H.B. Williamson and R.G. Stanwood; Third Ward, E.H. Hudson and J. Tomb; Fourth Ward, Geo. Heintzen, J. Hunter, and J. Peffer.
YUBA BIBLE SOCIETY
This was an old organization in Marysville, which had its inception May 30, 1852. The first officers were: - Dr. Wilder, President; Rev. T. Thatcher, G.M. Hanson, and A.E. Caldwell, Vice-Presidents; Rev. Sm. Simmons, Secretary; T. Ireland, Treasurer; Rev. J.W. Brier, L.W. Taylor, Mr. Cunningham, Dr. D.W.C. Rice, and E. Hamilton, Executive Committee. The society was not well supported and consequently was a short lived one.
MARYSVILLE CHORAL HARMONIC SOCIETY
This society was organized February 18, 1858, with twenty-three active male members and thirteen ladies, and the following officers: - E. Hamilton, F. Grambss, and W.L. Williams, Directors; E. Hamilton, Musical Director; Prof. F. Grambss, Pianist; C.A. Stratton, Secretary; Richard George, Treasurer; W.H. Hamilton, Librarian. The objective of the society was the musical culture of its members. Frequent concerts were given during the four years of its existence.
MARYSVILLE PHILHARMONIC SOCIETY
In December, 1877, a number of ladies and gentlemen, who recognized the advantages and pleasures to be derived from a society of that kind, organized this association. The only members of this organization who were connected with the old one are C.A. Stratton and A.D. Cutts. The society has about fifty members, and renders both vocal and orchestral music. Two concerts have been given since its organization, and the society has assisted in a number of others. It is out of debt and owns property to the value of $500. It meets for instruction at Peri's Hall every Thursday evening. The present officers are: - E.A. Davis, President; E.A. Belcher, Secretary; C.A. Stratton, Treasurer and Director.
PACIFIC BRASS BAND
In April, 1878, this band was organized by Prof. Guy Summers and twelve young men who were entirely inexperienced in music. Under the thorough instruction and drill given them by Prof. Summers, and by their constant practice, they have in one year arrived at a surprising degree of proficiency. The organization holds all its property in common and furnishes music both as band and orchestra. Their earnings last year were about $900. Their regular meetings for practice are Tuesday and Thursday evenings. The members at the organization were: - Guy Summers, Leader; G.T. Gribner, Gus. Poullian, H. Anthony, O.F. Davis, F.P. Schworm, F.A. Peel, E.B. Meek, G.W. Harris, H. Newman, J.F. Gerber, F.E. Engel, L. Dicey, and A.B. Cooper. H. Anthony has since moved from town, and Gus. Poullian has withdrawn from membership.
MARYSVILLE YUBA SHOOTING CLUB
A number of gentlemen organized this association May 18, 1872, for the purpose of securing the enforcement of the game laws in this vicinity, to promote the art of shooting and to cultivate friendly feeling and social intercourse among its members. The original members were: - I.N. Aldrich, D. Thom, C. Bometter, J.V. Selby, P. George, T.W. Kent, L. Belding, H.B. Marker, E.S. Prickett, Wm. Wearman, Eugene Barthe, J.B. Rohr, A.C. Bingham, P. Gelich, J.C. Roth, O.F. Stone, G.W. Peacock, A. Peri, J. Colford, J.M. Cutts, John White, J.H. Warren, J.R. Reed, J.F. Fells, Geo. Williams, Wm. DeMott, and A. Abbott. The above are still members with the exception of Messrs. Aldrich, Selby, Kent, Cutts, and Warren. The first officers were: - I.N. Aldrich, President; A. Peri, Secretary. At present A.C. Bingham is President and A. Abbott, Secretary. The present membership of the club is twenty-five. The club property is valued at one hundred dollars. The meetings have been held in the Hornung building, though discontinued at present.
The military fever ran its course in Marysville, as it has in other places, and for twenty years there were but two intervals during which there was not a martial organization of some kind. During the war two large well-drilled companies were maintained, which were not only of value at home as a safeguard against disorder, but also furnished from their ranks a great many disciplined soldiers to fight for the old flag in the field. In 1851, Brigadier-General S.M. Miles was in command of the First Brigade, First Division, California Militia, with his Headquarters at Marysville; C.S. Kasson was his Assistant Adjutant-General. September 9, 1851, by General Order No. 2, Samuel B. Mulford was appointed Judge Advocate on the staff of the Brigadier-General with rank of Major of Infantry. E.W. Roberts was, by the same order, appointed Assistant Surgeon with the rank of Captain of Infantry.
THE YUBA GUARDS
This company was organized June 9, 1855, with sixty-five young men, the elite of the city. The officers were: - M.D. Dobbins, Captain; John F. Snow, First Lieutenant; L.W. Taylor and W.H. Wickersham, Second Lieutenants; J.H. Cowan, Brevet Lieutenant; W.C. Burnett, First Sergeant; Thomas Seaward, Second Sergeant; L.W. Shelden, Third Sergeant; D.B. Wolf, Fourth Sergeant; D.J. Wilkins, Fifth Sergeant; Wm. B. Latham, Jr., Secretary; J.W. Moore, Treasurer. During its existence of several years, it received $520 appropriation from the Board of Supervisors for armory rent, etc.
This company was organized with about forty men, October 31, 1859, and continued in a flourishing condition until the close of the war. The company had at times as high as eighty men, but was constantly being reduced by members going to the front. The first officers were: - M.D. Dobbins, Captain; Theo. D. Coult, First Lieutenant; Emil Sutter, Second Lieutenant. The captains who succeeded Mr. Dobbins were Hiram W. Theal, Henry DeMott, and B. Eilerman.
MARYSVILLE UNION GUARDS
This was another prosperous company organized August 15, 1861. The strength of the command was about sixty men, which quota was hard to maintain on account of the great number who enlisted and went to the front. The first officers were: - L. Hubbard, Captain; A. Woods, First Lieutenant; Henry Parsons, Second Lieutenant; L.B. Ayer, First Sergeant; John Bacon, Second Sergeant. The Captains who succeeded L. Hubbard were C.G. Hubbard, W.P. Winkley, and Chas. Bacon. The company was mustered out January 2, 1867. In 1863, it was reorganized as an artillery company.
This was a French zouave company organized in 1863. It had a strength of fifty or sixty men and was commanded by Dr. Lasvigne. It was in existence about one year.
MARYSVILLE LIGHT ARTILLERY
When the Union Guards disbanded, some of the members went to work on the formation of a new company. This resulted in the organization of an artillery company August 4, 1867. The company had a strength of one hundred and sixteen men, and had two six and two twelve pound guns. The officers were: - A.W. Torry, Captain; J.B. Leaman, First Lieutenant; George Ayers, Second Lieutenant; M.Dixhammer, Third Lieutenant. No change was made in its officers during the two years of its existence. The company was mustered out in December, 1869.
The last company in Marysville was the Sherman Guards, Co. H, Fourth Regiment, Fourth Brigade, N.G.C., organized January 23, 1872. The first officers were: - J.M. Newhard, Captain; J.A. Hall, First Lieutenant; T.C. Morris, Second Lieutenant; J.M. Taylor, First Sergeant; E.W. Sawtelle, Second Sergeant; H.F. Beckman, Third Sergeant; R. Sweeney, Fourth Sergeant. The company had a strength of about sixty men. The same captain was retained in command until they disbanded, February 20, 1875.
Copyright ©2003, 2004, 2005 Kathy Sedler ALL RIGHTS RESERVED These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by any other organization or persons. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor. The contributor has given permission to the Yuba Roots website to store the file permanently for free access, but retain the rights to their work.