The Daily Appeal - Sunday, April 5, 1896, p5
Our Churches and Their Pastors
Methodism had its birth in Marysville in the summer of 1850, forty-six years ago. This place was then included in what was then known as The Feather River District, but which is now the Sacramento District. Rev. Isaac Owen was at that time the Presiding Elder of the district; his official title, however, was Superintendent of Missions, the charges being under the jurisdiction of the Oregon Mission Conference. There were but few Methodists in the city at that time, but by their earnest effort and self-sacrifice they had succeeded in building a little church, located on D street, between Third and Fourth. In this church Mr. Owen held the first quarterly conference in September, and Rev. Joshua Wilson was appointed as pastor of the new church. His pastorate was short, lasting only about six months; in the spring he died and Rev. D. A. Dryden was sent to fill his place. The building on D street was soon found to be too small for the congregation, and a lot was purchased on the corner of Fourth and E streets, upon which the present structure was erected in 1852 and 1853. Since that time, however, the building has been much improved and enlarged. A new front and spire has been added and the interior beautifully finished. The church as it now stands cost in the neighborhood of $32,000. It is a brick structure, consisting of a basement and auditorium. The basement is divided in six rooms, four of these rooms are large, and are so arranged that they can be thrown into one by the use of folding doors; these are used for the Sabbath-school and for the social meetings. The auditorium is seated with assembly chairs and presents a very neat and comfortable appearance. During the last year about $500 have been spent in improvement; the roof has been raised, adding much to the architectural beauty. About ten years ago a new parsonage was built in the place of the old one on the lot adjoining the church at a cost of about $1,500.
The first trustees of the church were George M. Hanson, Joel Burlingame and Benjamin Landis; the present board consists of Justus Greely, S. L. Frost, B. Pell, E. E. Meek and George Crowall.
The Ladies' Aid Society comprises a band of loyal, earnest women, who do much for the spiritual and financial prosperity of the society. The young people of the Epworth League also are helping to carry on the good work. The attendance at this church, is good and the prayer meetings are large and of great interest.
C. H. BEECHGOOD.
BACK TO CHURCHES INDEX PAGE