YUBA COUNTY  Biographies

 


 

WILLIAM MONROE THARP

Prominent among the experienced stockmen whose extensive operations have made Northern California famous for the sheep industry, is William Monroe Tharp, now a familiar guest at the Western Hotel, in Marysville.  He was born in Missouri on August 7, 1861, the son of R. W. and Elizabeth M. (Hiatt) Tharp, the former a native of Missouri and the latter of Kentucky, worthy pioneer folks, both of whom have closed their earthly careers.  R. W. Tharp arrived in California in the spring of 1870, on one of the early emigrant trains.  He settled with his family at Kirksville, on the Sacramento River, in Sutter County, ten miles north of Knight’s Landing.  Ten children made up the Tharp family, of whom eight are living today.

Will Tharp, as he is familiarly known, was next to the oldest in the family.  He went to the Sutter County schools, and then took up ranch work with his father on the home farm.  For the past twenty-eight years he has been engaged in sheep-raising and wool-buying; and he now owns some 8000 sheep.  His winter range is located west of Orland, he being the owner of the old Burrows ranch; while his summer range is in the Sutter Basin country, in Sutter County.  For the past eighteen years he has been wool-buyer for E. H. Tryon, of Stockton.

Mr. Tharp was married in Sutter County to Miss Olive Ford, the ceremony taking place on the old Ford ranch.  By their union were joined two interesting pioneer families, Miss Ford being the daughter of Milton Ford, a native of Maine, who came out to the Golden State and in Sutter County erected what is now known as the old Ford home, a historic landmark of the early days that is still standing.  Four children have blessed this union: Blanche, Kirby, Hope, and Wayne.  Mr. Tharp is a member of Marysville Lodge No. 783, B.P.O.E.

 

History of Yuba and Sutter Counties, Historic Record Company, Los Angeles, 1924

p 1079

 


 

FRANK MARTIN BOOTH

 

A large percentage of Marysville’s leading citizens are native sons; and in this classification belongs Frank Martin Booth, whose name is a prominent one in local business circles as well as in public affairs.  He has spent his entire life in Marysville, where he was born on October 24, 1885, his parents being John Wesley and Mamie (Gavin) Booth, the latter a native daughter of California and of old pioneer stock.  The father came to this State about 1862 and engaged in teaming to the mines in the mountains.  He died in 1890, but the mother is yet living.

Frank M. Booth received a public-school education and worked as a boy in the canneries, later being employed in the woolen mills.  For a time he was with the firm of White, Cooley & Cutts, and afterward accepted a position in the William Hampton hardware store.  Subsequently he served an apprenticeship to the plumber’s trade, and in 1910 decided to establish a business of his own, forming a partnership with Joseph T. Herboth.  Later he was joined by B. J. Herboth, and still later by Thomas Fogarty; and the business is now conducted under the style of the Booth-Herboth Company.  Mr. Booth is secretary of the firm and has instituted many well-devised plans for the development of the business, which is one of large and growing proportions.

In Yuba City, Mr. Booth was married to Miss Irene Saunders, a native daughter of California; and they now have a son, Francis Martin, Jr.  Mr. Booth supports the men and measures of the Republican party, and has always taken a keen interest in civic affairs.  In 1916 he was elected a member of the city council of Marysville from the second ward, and reelected in 1918 and in 1920.  In 1921 the new city charter took effect; and he was elected by the council as mayor, in 1922, serving one year in that capacity, and then again as a councilman.  He was chairman of the Fire and Water Committee, and of the Committee on Buildings and Grounds.  In October, 1923, Mr. Booth was appointed by Governor Richardson as supervisor for the first district of Yuba County to succeed C. E. Swift, deceased, and forthwith resigned as councilman to give all of his time to his business and his duties as supervisor.  He is a member of the executive board of the new Hotel Committee, and through his connection with the Chamber of Commerce is working earnestly to promote the industrial development of his city, while he also endeavors to further its advancement along educational and moral lines.  He has taken the third degree in the Knights of Columbus, and also belongs to the Foresters of America, the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and the Rotary Club.  He is fond of outdoor life, and is a baseball fan.  A man of broad views and modern standards, he has evinced that eagerness to promote the permanent interests of his community, and that hearty cooperation in progressive movements, which are embodied in the truest ideals of public service; and his sterling qualities have won for him high regard.

 

History of Yuba and Sutter Counties, Historic Record Company, Los Angeles, 1924

p 1080

 


BACK TO BIOGRAPHIES PAGE

Copyright ©2003, 2004, 2005  Kathy Sedler   ALL RIGHTS RESERVED  These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by any other organization or persons.  Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor. The contributor has given permission to the Yuba Roots website to store the file permanently for free access, but retain the rights to their work.