YUBA  COUNTY

 Biographies


CHARLES R. SCOTT, SR.

A pioneer miner of the State, and founder of a worthy family to carry on the name for generations to come, Charles R. Scott, Sr., was a native of Scotland, born in Edinburgh, in 1824.  He first arrived in California in 1847, on board a sailing vessel which stopped in San Francisco Bay.  Returning to Scotland, he attended a navigation school at Glasgow and became first mate on a sailing brig; but on reaching San Francisco a second time, he left ship for the mines, in 1853, locating in Butte County.  In 1856 he went to Poker Flat, and there spent the summers mining in Sierra County, and in winter would come down to Butte County again; and it was in that county that he became an American citizen.

On September 5, 1863, Mr. Scott married Miss Ellen Haley, born in Ontario, Canada, November 23, 1848, the daughter of the late James and Annie (Sylvester) Haley, the former born in Killarney, Ireland, in 1818, while the mother was a native of Lincolnshire, England, born in 1827.  There were three children in the family, all of whom survived till 1923: Mrs. Ellen Scott; Mrs. C. H. Duggan, of Oakland; and Mrs. Amanda Brady, of Forest City.  On June 24, 1923, Mrs. Ellen Scott passed away at the old family home, aged seventy-four years, past.  The father was a sailor on the Great Lakes, and master of a lumber schooner, and with his family migrated to California in 1859, via New York, on the steamship Moses Taylor to Aspinwall, and after crossing the Isthmus of Panama, on the steamship Golden Age to San Francisco, taking twenty-eight days for the trip.  In 1860 the family arrived at Poker Flat, where Mr. Haley was a hotel keeper of the Montrose House.  He was also interested in mining up until the time of his death, in January, 1903, at the age of eighty-five.  The mother passed to her reward in 1902, at the age of seventy-five.

Charles R. Scott and wife made their home at Poker Flat, and there their family were born and reared.  The family included Mrs. Jean Quigley, born April 14, 1868, and now residing at Santa Rosa; Charles R., born April 20, 1870; James born June 22, 1874; Mrs. Belle Poor, born August 8, 1876, and now residing at Santa Rosa; Walter, born September 5, 1878; Robert M., born September 18, 1883; Annie, Ellen, and Frances, who died at two and one-half years, twenty years, and sixteen years, respectively.  The sturdy pioneer passed away on September 15, 1900, aged seventy-six, at his old home on Poker Flat.

Since their father’s death, the sons have continued closely associated together in the business of mining and stock-raising, with James Scott as the manager.  The brothers have grown up in the live-stock business and have acquired extensive holdings of land and cattle.  Entering the business about twenty-five years ago, for the past fifteen years they have specialized in raising Durham cattle, making the old Scott homestead the summer quarters for their stock, and since 1910 wintering them at the present Scott ranch ten miles northeast of Browns Valley, consisting of 670 acres formerly known as the Benjamin Rhem place, which they purchased in 1910, and to which four years ago they added 300 acres, known as Parks Bar Ridge Ranch.  They are also owners of 100 acres at Canyon Creek, sixteen miles north of Downieville, and the Scott home place at Poker Flat, of 225 acres, now lying idle, but one of the richest mining properties in California, the place having been famous as Tennessee Gulch.  Of this property the brothers are joint owners with two other holders.

During the haying season the Scott brothers put up as much as 150 tons of choice hay, which is cared for usually by the youngest brother, Robert M. Scott, whose marriage, on May 3, 1914, united him with Miss Nettie Carmichael.  She was born in Sierra County, March 2, 1893, the second of four children born to Peter L. and Lillie (Becker) Carmichael, prominent ranchers of Yuba County.  Three children have come to Robert M. and Nettie Scott: Irene Mae, Robert W., and Charles P.

Charles R. Scott, Jr., was married in Port Wine, Sierra County, Cal., to Miss Annie Sherman, born at St. Louis, that county, a daughter of W. T. and Leah (Rosser) Sherman, pioneer miners of Sierra County, where Mrs. Scott was reared and educated.  Mr. and Mrs. Charles Scott have had two children: Percy Sherman, who died at thirteen years of age; and Alice Ellen.

The Scott brothers are members of the Bangor Cattlemen’s Association and the California Cattlemen’s Association.  They are worthy descendants of pioneer forebears, perpetuating a family name long associated locally with the work of upbuilding, and are highly esteemed and respected as citizens of their community, working for the good of the many, as well as for individual success in life.

History of Yuba and Sutter Counties, Historic Record Company, Los Angeles, 1924

p 823


ANDREW McFADDEN

Early in life Andrew McFadden acquired habits of self-reliance, industry and economy which were the foundation of his present prosperity.  For many years he was engaged in farming and stock-raising, owning 400 acres west of O’Banion’s Corners, and continuing there until he sold out to the Armour Company.  About six years ago he purchased ten acres of land on the highway, nine miles south of Yuba City.  This place was an old orchard, which he dug out, resetting most of it to prunes and installing a three-inch pump for irrigating purposes; and he also erected a substantial residence on the ranch, where he now lives with his wife.  He was born in County West Meath, Ireland, May 10, 1859, a son of Samuel and Elizabeth McFadden.  Samuel McFadden was of Scotch descent; he brought his family to the United States in 1861 and settled near Paterson, N.J., where he farmed for the remainder of his life.  He passed away at the age of seventy years, and his wife at sixty-three.

Andrew McFadden is the second in a family of six children, and received his education in the grammar school in Paterson.  At seventeen years of age he began working on farms near Paterson, continuing thus until about 1890, when he removed to California and, settling at Sutter, found employment in the harvest fields on ranches throughout the county.

At Yuba City, September 9, 1917, Mr. McFadden was married to Mrs. Josephine (Butler) Klempp, a native of Marysville and a daughter of Fred and Elizabeth (Wolf) Butler, both natives of Germany.  Mrs. McFadden is the youngest of a family of four children, two boys and two girls, and she received her education in the Marysville schools.  Josephine Butler was first married to Ferdinand Klempp, a native of Germany, and they were the parents of three children.  Elizabeth is now Mrs. E. L. Euler, Louis served in the World War, enlisting in the 144th Regiment of Artillery.  He was sent over seas, where he was on the firing line and went over the top.  After the armistice he returned home and was honorably discharged.  He is now clerking in Brown’s Grocery Store in Marysville.  Josephine is now Mrs. Cooper.  Mr. Klempp passed away about eight years ago.  In politics Mr. McFadden is a Democrat.

History of Yuba and Sutter Counties, Historic Record Company, Los Angeles, 1924

p 825


BACK TO BIOGRAPHIES PAGE

Copyright ©2003, 2004, 2005  Kathy Sedler   ALL RIGHTS RESERVED  These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by any other organization or persons.  Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor. The contributor has given permission to the Yuba Roots website to store the file permanently for free access, but retain the rights to their work.