A successful raisin-grower, packer and shipper of Sutter County is Mark Pease, a native of Enfield, N.H., born July 12, 1867, whose father, Charles Harris Pease, was born in Limerick, Maine, of an old New England family. The ancestors migrated from England, locating in Massachusetts soon after the Pilgrims of 1620. Afterward members of the family drifted into Maine and New Hampshire. Mr. Pease’s paternal grandfather, Mark Pease, served in the War of 1812.
Charles Harris Pease was a wood-turner, and followed his trade at one lathe in Enfield for over thirty years. He came of a very musical family and was a violinist of talent; he had his own orchestra of stringed instruments in New Hampshire. He had a very fine Cremona violin, which, after his death, became the property of our subject, who in turn gave it to one of his sons who is a violinist. In the fall of 1877 Charles Harris Pease and his wife came to California, locating in Sutter County. They like the country and decided to stay, and their seven children joined them in September of the same year. He engaged in grain-farming for some years, until he sold his ranch and retired, in 1908, locating in Sacramento, where he died in 1918. The mother of our subject was Rebecca Kimball, born in New Hampshire. She had an uncle, Clem Kimball, who came to California in 1850. She died in Sutter County in 1892. Their children were: W. R., of Alameda; Charles Frederick, of Marysville; Mrs. Rebecca Mason, who died in Los Gatos; George Harris, of Santa Cruz; Mark, of this review; Wyman Currier, who is with the Southern Pacific Company in Sacramento; and Lottie Belle, the wife of Schuyler Wadsworth, of Sutter City.
Mark Pease was reared at Enfield and Claremont, N. H., until he came to Sutter County, September 21, 1877; and here he attended school in Franklin, and then in Yuba City. He followed farming with his father until he was married, in 1891, when he took up viticulture. He purchased 192 acres of what is now Al Mendia Station, and set the place to Thompson Seedless grapes, thus beginning his career as a raisin-grower, in which he has been very successful. He is now the oldest grower of Thompson Seedless raisins in California. He also has an orchard of pears, peaches, figs and olives. He owns three different ranches, comprising 112 ½ acres, all devoted to raising fruit. Pease Station, on the Northern Railroad, is located on his ranch. His ranches are well-improved with good farm buildings and large packing houses, with stemmer, dippers, and sulphur house, modern and up to date, the whole plant having a capacity of 350 tons.
Mr. Pease has three sons. Leroy S. is a horticulturist and a musician, being a member of the Marysville Municipal Band; Mark J. is also a horticulturist and a member of the Marysville Municipal Band; Ralph Edson was in the World War and served over seas in the 113th Engineers. He was solo cornetist in their band. After the war he was with the band, as a native son, on the battleship California, later being transferred to the band on the battleship Nevada as solo cornetist, until he was discharged, in November, 1922. He now resides in Yuba City.
Mr. Pease was trustee of the Franklin school district, and afterward helped to form the Hill district, of which he was also trustee. Still later he assisted in organizing the Tierra Buena school district, and was a trustee there. A firm believer in protection of the fundamental principle for the success of our country, he is a strong supporter of the policies and platforms of the Republican party.
History of Yuba and Sutter Counties, Historic Record Company, Los Angeles, 1924
H. W. CLARK
An orchardist whose methods have commanded the admiration of his competitors, and whose results have stimulated others as well as himself, is H. W. Clark, who has a home-place of thirty acres three miles to the south of Live Oak, and two other ranches, totaling 170 acres, about nine miles to the northwest of Yuba City. He was born in a covered wagon on May 1, 1864, while his parents were en route across the plains to California, and was the eldest of five sons, four of whom have survived until the present day. His father was James S. Clark, a native of Ohio, who migrated to Iowa and there followed agricultural pursuits, leaving for California in 1863 with his bride, who was Miss Mary Adelaide Lester before her marriage. The father had been out here twice previously, and by thus crossing the continent when it meant something to make the trip, had come to know the conditions so peculiar to this part of the United States in those early pioneer days.
On arriving in Sutter County, Mr. and Mrs. Clark settled down to grain- and stock-farming. Mr. Clark also contracted for threshing, at first using horsepower and later a steam engine. He acquired some 480 acres near Live Oak, and 320 acres at Franklin Corners, now known as the Greely ranch. He died an accidental death in 1872, falling from a wagon. Mrs. Clark carried on the farming for a time and then was married to Charles A. Ellis, by whom she had four children: Irwin Ellis, of Live Oak; Inez, who has become the wife of S. Dowdin; Kate, who is the wife of B. M. Sweeney; and Clara, Mrs. Fred Pierce. In 1883, the Ellis family moved to the foothills of Yuba County, near the Indiana Ranch; but they soon after removed to Sutter County, where Mr. Ellis died, at Live Oak.
H. W. Clark got an excellent start in the public schools of Live Oak, and when only nineteen years of age assumed the responsibility of carrying on the work on the home ranch. The Clark brothers received 320 acres of land as their share of the estate, and they had to clear thirty-five acres of this. They hired wood-cutters for $1.25 a tree, and during the time between harvesting and plowing the brothers hauled wood to Marysville with a four-mule team. About ten years were spent in thus clearing up this valuable land. The brothers in the meantime conducted a blacksmith shop at the ranch, and they also operated a barley-crusher for about twenty seasons, asking $1.25 a ton. The brothers H. W. and J. F. Clark were joint owners of the last-mentioned enterprise, but in 1904 they dissolved their partnership.
At Yuba City, Mr. Clark was married to Miss Elizabeth Carstenbrook, a native of Germany, born in 1872, who was brought out to America and California when she was three years old. Mr. and Mrs. Clark have been blessed with two children, a son and daughter. Lester A. was united in marriage with Miss Helen Fall, by whom he has had two children, James L. and Jack H. He owns sixty acres at Live Oak, thirty-five of which is highly developed, bring set to French prunes, peaches, and a small vineyard. Lester Clark is an authority on fruit-raising, and he has had marked success in his chosen line. He is a Mason, a member of the Lodge at Yuba City. He and his father have always been the best of pals. Charlotte L., the daughter, was born on April 25, 1895, and became the wife of J. H. Jones, a civil engineer, connected with the Napa Water Works, and has one son, Kenneth C. Mr. Clark owns desirable real estate at Berkeley near the University of California campus, and also property at Burlingame, in San Mateo County, and has recently become the owner of a four-acre orchard at Yuba City. He has seen great changes during the past years, witnessing the transition from horse to motor power; and having unbounded faith in the future of all California, and especially of this region, he has been active in furthering irrigation and orchard development, now one of the marked features of country life in California. He never fails to support vigorously any movement for the welfare of the community, and he is a stanch member of the local branches of the cooperative marketing associations. Mr. Clark is a Mason and a Shriner, a member of Islam Temple.
History of Yuba and Sutter Counties, Historic Record Company, Los Angeles, 1924
BACK TO BIOGRAPHIES PAGE
Copyright ©2003, 2004, 2005 Kathy Sedler ALL RIGHTS RESERVED These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by any other organization or persons. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor. The contributor has given permission to the Yuba Roots website to store the file permanently for free access, but retain the rights to their work.