JAMES M. MORRISSEY
An active, useful and honorable life was brought to a close when, on October 9, 1922, James M. Morrissey was called to his final rest. With the history of progress in Marysville his name was long associated, and the sterling traits of his character established him high in public regard. He was one of Californiaís native sons, his birth having occurred in San Francisco on August 1, 1868, a son of Michael Morrissey, one of the Argonauts in San Francisco. On starting out in the world for himself James Morrissey chose the printerís trade, which he followed successfully for many years. Going to Reno., Nev., he worked for a time on the Gazette and later was employed as a printer by the Marysville Appeal. He developed expert skill, and subsequently engaged in the job-printing business on his own account. He prospered in his undertaking and built up a good trade, afterward disposing of the business to a Mr. Alexander. Having firm faith in the future of his city, he invested a portion of his capital in Marysville real estate and also purchased two fruit orchards in Sutter County, bringing them to a high state of development. Each tract contained twenty acres, which he set out to peach and prune trees. With him the recognition of opportunity was equivalent to the performance of the task involved, and whatever he undertook was done with thoroughness and care.
In Marysville, on February 7, 1892, occurred the marriage of James M. Morrissey, when he was united with Miss Elizabeth Carrigan, a native daughter of California born in Marysville. She was a daughter of Patrick and Anna Carrigan, the former of whom came to California in 1849, being one of the gold-seekers of that Argonaut year, and for a time followed mining, but soon located and became a property-owner in Marysville. Judge Morrissey was bereaved of his faithful life-companion on June 8, 1906. She was a woman of lovable traits of character, who was greatly missed by her family and hosts of friends. She left four children: Grace A., who resides in San Francisco; James E., in charge of the estate; Eleanor, now Mrs. Fell, of San Francisco; and Naurine, with the Pacific Gas & Electric Company, Marysville.
Mr. Morrissey was a member of Yuba-Sutter Parlor, No. 6, N.S.G.W., of which he was past president; and his fraternal connections were with the Foresters of America, the Woodmen of the World, and Marysville Lodge No. 783, B.P.O.E. For twenty-four years he served as justice of the peace and nine years as police judge of Marysville, and no better testimonial could be given as to his standing as a man and citizen. He found life worth the living, making the most of it day by day, and left behind him a memory that is cherished by all with whom he was associated.
His son, James E. Morrissey, now has charge of the two fruit farms in Sutter County and is ably carrying forward the work begun by the father. He is an expert machinist and was for six years employed in that capacity by the Marysville Manufacturing Company, until he resigned to take charge of his fatherís affairs. From 1911 until 1915 he served as a machinist in the United States Navy, serving on the Milwaukee, South Dakota, Colorado and Albany; and during the progress of the World War he enlisted in the United States Army, becoming corporal of Company B., 363rd Infantry, which was attached to the 91st Division. He was sent over seas, landing at LaHavre, and participated in the memorable battle in the Argonne forest, which marked the turning point in the fortunes of the Allies, and afterwards in the operations in the Toul Sector, until after the armistice. He returned to the United States on February 12, 1919, being mustered out at Camp Funston, Kans., the same month, and then returned to his wife and home in Marysville.
Mr. Morrissey married Miss Nadine Stalker, a native of Yuba County. Mr. and Mrs. Morrissey are prominent in social circles of Marysville. He is a Knight of Columbus and also belongs to the Foresters of America, the Yuba-Sutter Post of the American Legion, and Yuba-Sutter Parlor, No. 6, N.S.G.W. He is a young man of high principles and substantial qualities, capable and reliable in business, loyal and patriotic in citizenship, and at all times displaying devotion to the duties that devolve upon him.
History of Yuba and Sutter Counties, Historic Record Company, Los Angeles, 1924
A very interesting exponent of successful farming in Sutter County is John Joaquin, whose trim ranch is one of the attractive sights to the traveler passing east of Sutter City. He was born in Honolulu, in the Hawaiian Islands, August 30, 1867, the son of John Joaquin, who was a native of Lisbon, became a merchant, and died in the Sandwich Islands in 1875, esteemed by all who knew him. He had married Felismina Silva, a good woman; and she is now resting from her earthly labors in the cemetery at the Old San Miguel Mission. The worthy couple were granted five children, and our subject was the eldest in the little group. Mary and Joseph are both deceased; Frank is in Alaska; and Antonio has also passed on.
In 1875, after the death of the father, Mrs. Joaquin brought John and the rest of the family over to California, and settled at San Luis Obispo. There she lived the rest of her life, on the same ranch that she took up from the government as a homestead and preemption right, with a half-section of land; and she reared her family there, and in the end left the estate to be equally divided. John went to the Las Tablas Grammar School; and when old and strong enough to work, he earned wages to keep the family together. With the exception of four years, when he rented land at Cambria, Santa Rosa, and Danville, he made his home here; and at San Luis Obispo, on January 7, 1892, he was married to Miss Bessie J. Y. Peppard, a native of Nova Scotia, and a clever, capable woman. She was born at Great Village, Colchester County, on January 7, 1868, the daughter of George and Mary Ellen (Yuill) Peppard. Her father was a native of that place, and the Peppard family was esteemed as one of the oldest of Great Village, having its origin in Scotland long before Colonial days. Mrs. Peppard was also the representative of an old Scotch family. George Peppard was a mechanic by trade, and one of the best in that section; he met a premature death in a foundry at Great Village, in 1876. The Peppards had three children: Williamenne, Mrs. Leggett of Turlock; Bessie J. Y., the wife of our subject; and Mathew Thomas. On December 2, 1883, Mrs. Peppard brought her family into the States, and coming out to California settled at Cambria, in San Luis Obispo County. She homesteaded and took up script, thus obtaining government land; and with her son she had an estate of 1100 acres, at the time of her death, which occurred in her sixty-sixth year, in 1909. Bessie Peppard attended the grammar school, and grew up trained in the making of an attractive home.
In June, 1919, Mr. and Mrs. Joaquin removed to Sutter County, having previously bought out the heirs of the Joaquin estate, and acquired 720 acres of their own at Cambria; and they invested in some 311 acres of land, devoted to the growing of rice and to dairying, east of Sutter City. They now have also twenty-two and one-half acres of almond orchard at Chico, in Butte County, and some forty acres of investment property at Almendra Station. Mr. Joaquin is a Republican, and has had some public-office experience, having been deputy county assessor in San Luis Obispo County for four years.
Five children make up the family of Mr. and Mrs. Joaquin: Hugh H. P.; Bessie Felismina, who is now Mrs. Dubost of San Luis Obispo County; Mary E. Y., Mrs. Rose of Danville; and Yuill and Thomas T., at home, who are both well known young men in the vicinity of Sutter City. Yuill, a successful rice-grower near Sutter City, was married on December 26, 1923, at Santa Cruz, Cal., to Miss Marie Schlichting, of San Francisco, a graduate of the University of California and a successful teacher of English Literature. She taught that branch in the Sutter Union High School for a year, and is at present teaching her second year in English Literature at the Auburn Union High School. Thomas is a senior in the Sutter Union High School, and one of the athletes of the school, which took the first honors at the track meet of all the leading high schools in Northern California in 1923, being the champion discus and javelin thrower of Northern California. Hugh enlisted in the United States forces and served over seas, participating in five of the decisive battles of the World War, going through the thick of all the fights without a wound. He now operates his eighty-acre ranch east of Sutter. Bessie Felismina was one of the first to answer the nationís call for nurses during the World War. She served at Camp Kearney, Camp Beauregard and Camp Dix, and was discharged with an honorable record. She is a graduate nurse from St. Maryís Hospital at San Francisco.
History of Yuba and Sutter Counties, Historic Record Company, Los Angeles, 1924
BACK TO BIOGRAPHIES PAGE
Copyright ©2003, 2004, 2005 Kathy Sedler ALL RIGHTS RESERVED These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by any other organization or persons. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor. The contributor has given permission to the Yuba Roots website to store the file permanently for free access, but retain the rights to their work.