YUBA COUNTY  Biographies

 


 

GEORGE E. McDANIEL

 

            Marysville is largely indebted for her progress and development in recent years to members of the McDaniel family, who have ever manifested a spirit of helpfulness and devotion to the general good.  Their efforts have largely been directed into the field of general contracting, in which George E. McDaniel has gained a position of leadership; and he has also attained prominence in other walks of life.  He has always resided in Marysville, where he was born on September 16, 1885, a son of Hon. E. P. and Mary Adelia (Peacock) McDaniel, the former of whom is serving as judge of the superior court of Yuba County.

            After completing his third year in high school, George E. McDaniel entered the business world, becoming an employee of Swift Brothers, with whom he learned the carpenter’s trade.  Thereafter he decided to enter the contracting business independently; and on April 1, 1916, the present firm of McDaniel & Burroughs was formed.  Since its inception the enterprise has grown rapidly, and the volume of business now done by the firm amounts to $300,000 a year.  They have built more homes and apartment houses than any of their competitors, and give steady employment to twenty-five men.  They have transformed unsightly vacancies into attractive residential districts.  Examples of their handiwork may be seen in the Carlin Apartments, the addition for the California Packing Corporation, the brick-work on the St. James Apartments and the buildings at the concentration camp. Their buildings are substantially constructed and attractive in design, representing the best in workmanship and material consistent with the prices charged.  Mr. McDaniel also acts as manager of the Marysville Sand & Brick Company, the pioneer undertaking of this character in Marysville, and furnished all of the sand used in constructing the big tunnel, and also for the building operations of the Southern Pacific Railroad Company at Emigrant Gap.  He has an aptitude for successful management, being an exceptionally able executive; and the firm is now conducting a business of large proportions, sending out forty cars of sand per day.

            Mr. McDaniel married Miss Jessie Caroline Mackey, of South Dakota; and they are the parents of a son, George E., Jr.  In his political views, Mr. McDaniel is a Democrat.  Fraternally, he is identified with Corinthian Lodge No. 9, F. & A.M., and Marysville Lodge No. 783, B.P.O.E.  He is a member of the Lions Club, and has been honored with the presidency of the Yuba County Fish & Game Association, which office he is now filling.  He is deeply interested in the work of the association, to which he devotes a considerable portion of his time, and was one of the ten men who started the Game Refuge, comprising about 27,000 acres in Yuba And Butte Counties, which they have stocked with pheasants.  He is a devotee of the rod and gun, and enjoys all forms of athletic sports, thus maintaining that necessary physical and mental balance which enables him to take up the reins of business with renewed energy.  He has built more than sixty homes in Marysville, and his labors have been a dominant force in the development and improvement of his city. He is broad in his views, progressive in his standards, and high in his ideals – a splendid type of the modern business man, and a citizen who would be a valuable addition to any community.

 

History of Yuba and Sutter Counties, Historic Record Company, Los Angeles, 1924

p. 959-960

 


 

MISS IDA RUFF

 

            Born at Brownsville, Yuba County, in 1867, Miss Ida Ruff was the second child, in order of birth, in the family of Kasper Carl W. C. and Cassandra (Bainbridge) Ruff.  Her father was familiarly known to his many friends as “Charlie” Ruff.  He was a native of Bavaria, Germany, born in 1834. He learned the trade of the locksmith, and he and his brother were associated in that business in their native land.  He left Germany for New York, and was a locksmith in Albany till 1850, when he came to California via Cape Horn and followed mining and ran a store, later moving to Bloomfield and acting as superintendent of the Malakoff Mine; but owing to the failing health of his wife, he later removed to Brownsville.  In 1866 Mr. Ruff purchased the Humphrey mill, which he ran for nine years, when he sold the machinery and closed the mill.  He then turned his attention to the cattle business, in connection with which he ran the meat market in Brownsville.  There were eleven children born to Mr. and Mrs. Ruff: William; Ida, of this sketch; Kate, deceased; Sophie, the wife of George Deval; Nellie, the deceased wife of F. Kramer; Cassy, the wife of James Kramer; Rose and Charles, both deceased; Edna, the widow of F. Parrow; Minnie, the wife of W. G. Darneille; and Ethel, deceased.  The mother passed away at the age of sixty-three; the father survived until April 6, 1911, when he passed away, aged seventy-seven.

            Miss Ruff began her education in the public schools of Brownsville.  In 1885 he took the teacher’s examination at Marysville and received her certificate to teach in Yuba County; and in 1888 she also received a county certificate to teach in Sutter County.  Her first school was the Hansonville school; and her teaching record covered a period of twenty-nine years.  In 1915 Miss Ruff retired.  She has built a home in the Yuba foot-hills near Bainbridge Crossing, on Honcut Creek, where she now resides.

 

History of Yuba and Sutter Counties, Historic Record Company, Los Angeles, 1924

p. 960-963

 


BACK TO BIOGRAPHIES PAGE

Copyright ©2003, 2004, 2005  Kathy Sedler   ALL RIGHTS RESERVED  These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by any other organization or persons.  Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor. The contributor has given permission to the Yuba Roots website to store the file permanently for free access, but retain the rights to their work.