YUBA  COUNTY

 Biographies


WILLIAM ANDREW CLEMENTS

A busy, capable and energetic rancher is found in William Andrew Clements, who resides on his fine ranch home of 160 acres in the vicinity of Sutter City.  He was born in Rhode Island, on July 5, 1855, a son of I. V. and Mary Jane (McClimon) Marsh.  I. V. Marsh pssed away the same year our subject was born, and the mother, with her family, left soon afterwards for California, traveling via Panama and arriving in San Francisco on March 1, 1856.  Subsequently Mrs. Marsh was married to E. H. Clements, a native of Georgia, and our subject took the name of Clements.

E. H. Clements was a veteran of the Mexican War.  During the gold excitement of 1849 he came to California, and here mined on the Yuba River and also conducted a merchandise business at Long Bar.  Their first home was on the Yuba River, where Mr. Clements had purchased land; the next was at South Butte, where Mr. Clements owned 720 acres of land, which he farmed successfully.  There were eight children in the family: William Andrew, our subject; E. H., deceased; Ann, deceased; Joseph; Virginia, deceased; Mary E., who became Mrs. Rose and died in July, 1923; Elizabeth, now Mrs. Kennedy; and Robert James, deceased.  Mr. Clements passed away in 1881, aged sixty years, and the mother passed away at the age of eighty years.

William Andrew Clements received his early education in the district school in the vicinity of his home, and attended two and one-half terms at Pierce Christian College at College City.  There were 880 acres in the family estate, from which our subject received as his share 160 acres.  He now lives in Sutter City with his sister, Mrs. E. S. Kennedy, upon whose land stands the house his stepfather built in 1872; a portion of this property he has developed to vineyard.  For eleven years Mr. Clements was deputy county assessor of Sutter County.  Fraternally, he belongs to the Masons  of Yuba City; to the Chapter, Council and Commandery in Marysville; and to the Scottish Rite Consistory in Sacramento.

History of Yuba and Sutter Counties, Historic Record Company, Los Angeles, 1924

p 607


JOHN HAMILTON LAMME

A highly esteemed citizen of Sutter City, whose useful and well-spent life has not only gained the confidence of his fellow-men, but has also secured for him a comfortable competence, is John Hamilton Lamme, who was born at Grass Valley, Cal., September 15, 1860, a son of Adam Hamilton and Fannie L. (Crane) Lamme, both natives of Illinois.  Adam Hamilton Lamme and his wife crossed the plains to California with an ox team in 1859 and located at Grass Valley, where Mr. Lamme became an underground miner.  A cave-in in the mine where he was working caused him to give up mining, and he then removed to Carson City, Nev., where he engaged in vegetable-raising.  He remained there until 1866 and then returned to California and settled at Pennington, where he purchased 240 acres of land.  Later he bought his brother-in-law’s place of 240 acres, and from time to time added more acreage until he had 1400 acres of land devoted to sheep-raising and general farming.  He spent the remainder of his days on this ranch, where he passed away in 1899.  Five children were born to Mr. and Mrs. A. H. Lamme: John Hamilton, of this review; William; Rash, deceased; Samuel; and Edna, now Mrs. Ocheltree.  The mother resides in Alameda, aged eighty-three.

John Hamilton Lamme received his education at the Pennington district school and Napa College, and remained at home with his folks until he was twenty-two years old, when he began farming on leased land.

On December 10, 1882, Mr. Lamme was married to Miss Clara Davis, a native of Sutter County, and a daughter of Eli and Sophie Davis.  Eli Davis was a farmer and stock-raiser, and was county supervisor for many years.  There were eight children in the parents’ family: W. J.; Clara, Mrs. Lamme; Sophie, who is now Mrs. C. E. Williams; Ruth, now Mrs. Frank Douglas; Edith, Mrs. Hook; Grant; Florence, now Mrs. Glover; and Ella.  Mrs. Lamme received her education in the Washington district school and Napa College.  Mr. and Mrs. Lamme resided in Pennington for two years, and then removed to Sutter City, where they have since resided.  They have had six children:  Eva, who is now Mrs. Powers; a child who died in infancy; Elmer and Wallace, deceased; Ansel W.; and Davis.  From 1910 to 1913 Mr. Lamme served as postmaster of Sutter City; and since 1915 he has been county sealer of weights and measures.  For four years, also, he was deputy county assessor.  He is a Republican in politics; and fraternally he is a Mason.

History of Yuba and Sutter Counties, Historic Record Company, Los Angeles, 1924

p 608


CHARLES H. POWELL

A broad-minded, far-seeing man of affairs is Charles H. Powell, the enterprising proprietor of the Yuba Machine Works.  He was born at Lenoir, Caldwell County, N.C., on April 8, 1878, the son of William Horace and May (Hartley) Powell.  William H. Powell entered the Confederate Army as a private, serving under an uncle.  After the war he became a manufacturer of lumber.  Grandfather John Powell was a Baptist preacher, and was a Union man.

Charles H. Powell attended the local school during the winter months, and afterwards became a student in the Barnes high school; and what he missed of opportunity in early life he made up later in the school of practical experience.  His first work was in a planing mill, next in a furniture factory, and after that in a cotton mill.  He then apprenticed himself to learn the trade of a machinist, which he followed in the East after completing his apprenticeship.  In 1898, when war was declared with Spain, Mr. Powell volunteered and joined Company D, 2nd North Carolina Volunteer Infantry, serving at Port Royal Naval Station for six months, or until the close of the war, when he was honorably discharged.  He at once reenlisted for service in the Filippino insurrection in Company E, 27th U.S. Infantry.  He came on to San Francisco, crossed the ocean in the small coast steamer Geo. E. Elder, and arrived in the Philippines in September, 1899.  He took part in various engagements until the capture of Aguinaldo, and returned to San Francisco in March, 1901, being mustered out at the Presidio as quartermaster sergeant of Company E.  Mr. Powell went back to his old home for a brief stay, after which he was drawn to the West again and located for a time in Albuquerque, N.M., where he was a machinist in the Santa Fe railroad shops for a year.  Coming to California, he was employed by the Redwood Lumber Company at Pittsburg, and later operated a plumbing shop there until 1908, when he sold out to enter the service of the Alaska Packers’ Association.  He made trips to Alaska in 1908 and 1909 as a machinist, the winters being spent in Oakland with an automobile machine works.  In the fall of 1910 he located in Marysville, where he worked as a machinist for Dunning Bros. Company, until 1912, when he established his own business under the name of Yuba Machine Works.  He is located on Third Street, where he conducts a general repair shop, doing all kinds of machine work, welding and cylinder-grinding.  He employs six men and has a completely outfitted modern shop.

In Marysville, in 1912, Mr. Powell was united in marriage with Miss Myrtle Sears, a native of Oklahoma but a resident of Gridley, Butte County.  Their union has been blessed with five children; Albert, Mary, Clinton, Jack and Gordon.  Mr. Powell owns a comfortable home and he is a stockholder in the new hotel company.  He belongs to the Knights of Pythias and the Woodmen of the World, and is a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars.  For recreation he is fond of hunting and fishing.

History of Yuba and Sutter Counties, Historic Record Company, Los Angeles, 1924

p 608


BACK TO BIOGRAPHIES PAGE

Copyright ©2003, 2004, 2005  Kathy Sedler   ALL RIGHTS RESERVED  These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by any other organization or persons.  Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor. The contributor has given permission to the Yuba Roots website to store the file permanently for free access, but retain the rights to their work.